Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Where do I post a question about the external handling fee for American Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where do I post a question about the external handling fee for American Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2021, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Where do I post this question ...

If I use a third party to book my AA travel, and days afterwards need to cancel it, then later when I use the voucher I will be charged a $50 "external handling fee".

My question: Is the "external handling fee" still charged if I use the website AA.com to cancel and later rebook using the voucher?

Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you have an AA voucher and use it to book on the AA website, no, there is no external fee to be paid. Note that this third party may charge you a handling fee for you to get the voucher in the first place.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you have an AA voucher and use it to book on the AA website, no, there is no external fee to be paid. Note that this third party may charge you a handling fee for you to get the voucher in the first place.
Thanks. The third party (Chase rewards) has told me they don't have a handling fee for canceling the reservation or using the voucher.

My followup question is, same scenario, if I use AA.com (not the third-party) to cancel the third-party AA reservation to get the AA voucher, do you know if that will incur an external fee from AA? Or is a simple rule, anytime I use AA.com to cancel, make changes, or use a voucher, there is never an external fee?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 10:06 am
Suspended

AA won't touch a reservation made through a third party. You need to go through them (your travel agent).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 10:22 am
Original Poster

LondonElite, thank you very much for the helpful and clear information. I appreciate it.

-Waltrip
Old Aug 30, 2021, 10:30 am
Suspended

Best of luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.