Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Should I be charged for an additional checked bag twice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Greetings all!

I will be traveling from Europe to US on a business trip at the end of this month. I will spend few months there and I am planning to follow the 14 days quarantine rule once arrive in Monterey, CA.

I will fly with Lufthansa to Monterey, CA with a layover in Los Angeles in Economy class. Therefore, my luggage allowance should be 1x 23kg. checked bag, 1 personal item and 1 carry-on 8kg. item.

I noticed the warning at Lufthansa website: “Due to the ongoing C19 pandemic, German supervisory authorities are requesting that passengers only bring 1 piece of carry-on.”

My intentions are to bring additional 1x23 kg bag and pay the extra bag fee for it.

At LA I will have a huge layover – will arrive at 13:35 and will have the local flight to Monterey the next day at 10:45. I have no option to rent a car and drive, therefore have to stick to the flight schedule.

As far as I know, once arrived in US you have to take all of you bags with you after the customs and, as in my case to find a place to sleep near the airport. Even in this C-19 situation I believe that once you go through immigration and customs, you are free to leave the airport and search for a hotel. Right?

Then, on next day, I have to register/put the bags back for the local flight.

Here are some questions which answers are quite unclear for me. Therefre, I searching for your help.

1. Is there any other luggage allowance restrictions in place due to the C-19 for Lufthansa flights 1x 23kg. checked baggage, 1 personal item and 1 carry-on 8kg?

2. Due to the ongoing C-19 situation, is it correct to believe that I will be allowed to exit the LAX to find a hotel for the night or I will be kept in the transit area for the entire layover time?

3. Is there an option for me to register the bags immediately after the customs for the next day local US flight and then go and find a hotel bringing only my carry-ons?

4. If I decide to pay for one additional 1x23kg bag - will I be charged once again for it as an extra baggage for the local US flight from LA to Monterey on the next day when I show up at the airport?

Thanks a lot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.