Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TA needs IBAN for processing refund??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

TA needs IBAN for processing refund??

TA needs bank details to send refund. What’s IBAN for Wells Fargo???

Travelgenio UK is finally refunding my canceled booking after 1.5 years of receiving the refund from the airline but sent me the following email:

We would like to inform you that since the payment was made more than 1 year ago, we can only refund the amount corresponding to the booking by bank transfer.

In order to complete the refund of your tickets, please provide the following bank details:
- Account holder (full name, no initials allowed).
- Account holder’s address.
- Bank name.
- Complete bank address.
- Account number.
- IBAN.
- SWIFT or BIC.

My bank is Wells Fargo and they don’t have “IBAN”. I’m afraid if I leave anything missing, they’ll not process the transfer.

What to put for IBAN?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask your bank
From google
https://www.wellsfargo.com/com/inter...esources/iban/
https://www.iban.com/banks/wells-fargo
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:47 pm

Those pages are about Wells Fargo accounts in the UK. Is this a UK account or a US account? IBAN was invented in the European Union and then spread to most other European countries and some countries outside Europe, but isn't used in many parts of the world. Check this map: if your country is grey, then there is no IBAN for your bank account.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Indeed the US does not participate in IBAN. A US-based account will not have an IBAN number.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Transferwise

You can sign up with transferwise and receive an iban account number in europe. Then you can transfer euro or gbp balance to wells fargo as USD

They also mention swift in their response , you can receive funds via swift but beware of intermediary fees . Transferwise could be a better option

Last edited by ovacikar; Dec 29, 2020 at 4:48 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:56 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

As others have said, US bank accounts don't have IBAN. However, they should have an alternate way of processing international bank transfers. You should contact your bank and see what number should be provided. In most cases, they can receive international transfers through their routing number.
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ovacikar
You can sign up with transferwise and receive an iban account number in europe. Then you can transfer euro or gbp balance to wells fargo as USD

They also mention swift in their response , you can receive funds via swift but beware of intermediary fees . Transferwise could be a better option
Or Revolut. AFAIK they are now available to US customers and you get IBAN and BIC for SWIFT payments. The GBP account even comes with UK-style account number and sort code.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that this is a US bank checking account, it will have a routing number which, along with the SWIFT code is all that is required. The routing number is the 9-digit number appearing on the lower left-hand corner of the check in MICR. In the event that this is one of those accounts without paper checks, the routing number should be available online or by calling your bank.

This is routine and should be a complete non-issue.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
When providing international bank wire details, you always provide the instructions that the receiving bank want you to use. So if the receiving bank is in Europe, you provide the IBAN (which is your account number) and the BIC (SWIFT address) of your bank. If you receive funds at Wells Fargo US in a foreign currency you provide your account number and a specific BIC so that they know they need to convert to USD. Otherwise you provide a different BIC code if receiving funds in the currency of the account. The usual confusion comes from the mis-use of the term IBAN. An IBAN is simply a European standardised account number. So the instructions should have read Account Number/IBAN since these are the same thing. You provide the IBAN if you have and the Account Number if you do not have an IBAN.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:56 pm

I just received the same email today ~ if they do not get it to go through they claim there will be a 50 Euro. I was trying to avoid any errors myself !
It almost makes me want to wait until you post your results. It also took me over a year and so many hours on the phone you would think a normal
person would have given up! Sure hope you see this . Thanks
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:13 pm

IS TRANSFERWISE SCAM OR LEGIT? HOW DID IT ORIGINATE AND HOW DID IT GET CAUGHT?

Our team at First Option Recovery decided to use TransferWise services and guess what, we found out something was fishy. When we checked aur account on the day the transfer was supposed to be completed, we realize that the money has still not reflected in our account. The very next day, we call their customer support and although the support was extremely laggy and unknowledgeable in nature, they said that they need further documentation and would call us in a day or two. One of the very first signs of the TransferWise scams.

We found out that the money was never transferred at all. In fact, what the company did that they returned the money but took a small commission out of the lot. In simple words, the money was never transferred and the commission was taken. This was not only with us but thousands of our customers when they wanted to transfer their money. First Option Recovery highly suggests you to stay away from the TransferWise scams.

They also have a pretty messed up customer service where they don’t respond properly to customer requests and also have long waiting times. TransferWise Scams would not have been suspected if they had some better customer service where they would be vocal about how the money had been lost in the transfer and how they took a small commission out of it without us knowing. Who knows the commissions could be large depending upon the amount of money transferred.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheryl Lacy Cudney
I just received the same email today ~ if they do not get it to go through they claim there will be a 50 Euro. I was trying to avoid any errors myself !
It almost makes me want to wait until you post your results. It also took me over a year and so many hours on the phone you would think a normal
person would have given up! Sure hope you see this . Thanks
I finally got the refund last week. Been 2 years. The original ticket was INR 58k and I received INR 52k which is around $100 less, thanks to the appreciated USD, so not a bad deal.
JMorgana likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by nevillek
I finally got the refund last week. Been 2 years. The original ticket was INR 58k and I received INR 52k which is around $100 less, thanks to the appreciated USD, so not a bad deal.
Thanks so much for your reply !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.