Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Travel advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Help! Travel advice needed

Hi! Could use some help from the more experienced travelers out there. I would like to take my son to Japan as a graduation gift (it is his dream destination) out of IAD or NYC. We don’t have a lot of spare cash (I’ve been furloughed since April) but have some spare points.

We have more than enough to get there, but we are both over six feet tall so we are looking for the travel option that gets us the most legroom for the least money. We have 150k points on United (silver status) and 200k on Delta (gold status). Other than just booking a nonstop on United and crossing our fingers, does anyone have any suggestions as to partners or strategies?

I know there are services out there that help with this, but since I’m furloughed, not a lot of spare cash. Thanks!!

Tor
Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tor Christensen
Hi! Could use some help from the more experienced travelers out there. I would like to take my son to Japan as a graduation gift (it is his dream destination) out of IAD or NYC. We don’t have a lot of spare cash (I’ve been furloughed since April) but have some spare points.

We have more than enough to get there, but we are both over six feet tall so we are looking for the travel option that gets us the most legroom for the least money. We have 150k points on United (silver status) and 200k on Delta (gold status). Other than just booking a nonstop on United and crossing our fingers, does anyone have any suggestions as to partners or strategies?

I know there are services out there that help with this, but since I’m furloughed, not a lot of spare cash. Thanks!!
When do you want to travel?
Have you considered all the Covid-19 travel restrictions? Checked those out for Japan?
What awards have you found when looking?
Have you looked at cost in Japan?
Full details in the initial post help

Cross posted in UA forum --- > Help! Need award travel advice! Graduation trip to Japan -- Summer 2021
From that wanting to go about the same time as the rescheduled Olympics.
Conclusion---> Time to look for another destination and that is less costly (as cash seem to be a concern)
Old Aug 10, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Japan can also be a bit expensive. Make sure you take that into account.

With the miles you have, you might look into using DL miles one way in business class, and United on the return. Not sure if UA mileage would get you two tickets or not. Many airlines have switched to variable awards. A one way award might be 80k on one day, and 180k the next.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
DL's Comfort Plus or UA's EconomyPlus will probably be the most reasonable option for you. PE redemption rates tend to be poor particularly on UA. Be ready to have to do a 1-stop vs a nonstop with both part definitely with DL. Search also out of BWI, PHl & the NYC airports with a positioning flight or train/bus ride.

Tokyo can be expensive but there are bargain ways to experience it.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Also crossposted in UA Forum:

Help! Need award travel advice! Graduation trip to Japan -- Summer 2021

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#crossposting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.