Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines & Using Points

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines & Using Points

Looking at flying to SIN on SQ21 from EWR in J class next year (two of us). When I look at United (Star Alliance) this flight doesn't even show up - ANYWHERE (looked at many dates). I've heard they rarely release inventory on this flight.

When I look at Singapore directly, it's there for 99k saver points.

When I look at Alaska it's 100k saver points.

My "bank" is 400k United Mileage Plus, 100k Amex, 100k Chase, and 300k Bonvoy (that I never use as I work for Marriott)

How would you handle this? I'm thinking transfer the Amex & Chase points directly to SQ and book from there?

Really appreciate it.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Dominic Brunetti
Looking at flying to SIN on SQ21 from EWR in J class next year (two of us). When I look at United (Star Alliance) this flight doesn't even show up - ANYWHERE (looked at many dates). I've heard they rarely release inventory on this flight.

When I look at Singapore directly, it's there for 99k saver points.

When I look at Alaska it's 100k saver points.

My "bank" is 400k United Mileage Plus, 100k Amex, 100k Chase, and 300k Bonvoy (that I never use as I work for Marriott)

How would you handle this? I'm thinking transfer the Amex & Chase points directly to SQ and book from there?

Really appreciate it.
Seems like the right approach.

AS miles are worth more than SQ miles to me, so at basically the same rate, would recommend booking with SQ.

And wouldn't recommend transferring the Marriott points, since there are other more valuable transfer partners than SQ.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by econ
AS miles are worth more than SQ miles to me, so at basically the same rate, would recommend booking with SQ.
It is going to change next year for sure...

Originally Posted by econ
And wouldn't recommend transferring the Marriott points, since there are other more valuable transfer partners than SQ.
Not necessary. It really depends on OP's benefit.

I am not sure whether OP can stay for free or OP uses the F&F rate. But if OP stays working with Marriott and the benefit is not going away, I can't see why OP should not transfer Marriott points even the rates are bad.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both. I stay on the employee discount almost always (think the JW Marriott in Singapore for $60/night). I ended up with all these Bonvoy points from a Starwood Amex I used to have before the merger. We were not eligible to collect points with Marriott so it seemed like the best hotel card, but now all of that has changed (including we ARE able to earn Bonvoy points now).

Either way - Think I'm going to liquidate those as it will cover one of our flights (and these are not cheap flights).
econ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.