Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One from LAX to ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Delta One from LAX to ATL

I fly Delta 284 from LAX to ATL on a regular basis. The aircraft is a 777 which originates in Sydney as Delta 40. The first class cabin has individual modules which Delta labels Delta One seating. When I went to book this flight for April 2020, the only planes were A321s or 757s. I am fine with an A350 or A380 or even a 767 but these were not on the schedule. I cannot get an answer from Delta as to if and when they will have a "jumbo jet" again on this route. Please let me know if anyone has insight into this issue. The comfort level of a first class seat on an A321 or B757 does not approach that of a seat on a 777. Thank you, pinky1
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Delta has no A380 in its fleet.

Any A350 on this route would (likely) be reposition flights; in other words, non regularly scheduled.

It's also likely Delta may not have submitted final details for flights 4+ months out.

Also also, some 757 in the Delta fleet has lie flat seats up front.

I have alerted moderators to move this thread to the Delta sub-forum on FT, where you will get a lot of pertinent responses.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

Thank you so much for your swift reply. A Delta agent told me the 777 on Delta 40, Sydney to LAX, was going to be replaced with an A380. I will check the flatbeds on certain 757s. I greatly appreciate your putting this issue into the public arena for comment. pinky1
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Don't hold your breathe on the A380 because Delta doesn't have one. No US airline operates one.

Side note: Jumbo jet refers to 747s and A380s. Widebody refers to planes with more than 1 aisle. Think 777s, 767s, A330s, A350s and so on. Like squares and rectangles a jumbo jet is a widebody but a widebody isn't necessarily a jumbo jet.
MSPeconomist and JDiver like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

A380

I don't necessarily want to be on the A380 but I was relating information provided by the Delta agent. I just want Delta One flatbed seating. I hope the airline continues aircraft with that configuration on the LA-Atlanta route. Thank you very much for your post, pinky1
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Pinky1
I don't necessarily want to be on the A380 but I was relating information provided by the Delta agent. I just want Delta One flatbed seating. I hope the airline continues aircraft with that configuration on the LA-Atlanta route. Thank you very much for your post, pinky1
The agent might have meant that the SYD route is going to be operated by VA with an A380, assuming that they own some. DL and VA are bilateral partners and IIRC have a JV on the Australia routes.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Delta and VA

There are two flights listed as Delta flights from Sydney to LAX. Delta 40 is operated by that carrier and is currently a 777. VA 915 is listed as Delta 6795. That flight, a 737-800, is operated by Virgin Australia and has a stop in Brisbane before arriving to LAX. I am certain the Delta agent was referring to Delta 40 because that is the flight that currently continues on to Atlanta as Delta 284. Since Delta has not been forthcoming in providing information it is very possible the agent was mistaken. Moreover, the agent suggested I post on Flyer Talk and other forums as she could not answer my questions concerning aircraft slotted for this route. I greatly appreciate your post, Cheers, pinky 1
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
There's never going to be an A380 on this route so you can go ahead and throw that out. VA doesn't have them and DL doesn't have them.

My guess is that the LAX - ATL movement of the 77L isn't necessary this year for the summer schedule (which I believe usually starts at the beginning of April) due to the upgauge of ATL - AMS and ATL - CDG to 777s plus the addition of ATL - HND on the 777 (replacing ATL - NRT which is on an A359).

Combined with the existing ATL - PVG and ATL - JNB flights on the 777 plus the LAX flights on the 777 (LAX - HND, LAX - CDG and LAX - PVG), Delta will be able to swap frames for the various routes without needing the domestic LAX - ATL tag throughout their summer schedule.

You'll notice that the 9am LAX - ATL is back on the 777 in September when they shift back to the winter schedule.

Last edited by Duke787; Dec 31, 2019 at 2:37 pm
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

In brief, will Delta have a plane with flatbeds on this route before September? I have flown between LA and Atlanta for several years and was able to take this plane from LAX in the summer.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In brief, will Delta have a plane with flatbeds on this route before September? I have flown between LA and Atlanta for several years and was able to take this plane from LAX in the summer.
No -- it seems that their summer schedule this year does not have them operating a widebody plane on LAX - ATL (even if it did in years past).

And note that from a business perspective it is far more efficient for the widebody planes to be on international routes so it makes sense for them to pull lie-flats in the summer if they can deploy those planes to longer routes with strong demand.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Duke787
No -- it seems that their summer schedule this year does not have them operating a widebody plane on LAX - ATL (even if it did in years past).

And note that from a business perspective it is far more efficient for the widebody planes to be on international routes so it makes sense for them to pull lie-flats in the summer if they can deploy those planes to longer routes with strong demand.
Whose summer are you talking about, The US or Australia?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
US

The premise of the thread is about the aircraft being used for the route between LAX and ATL. Australia had been included by the original poster because (historical) inbound flight for LAX to ATL = SYD to LAX.

Otherwise, this thread is about the aircraft for the (US) domestic route.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
DL’s summer (US) schedule
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:28 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I think it's pretty clear that your agent said A380 but meant A350 or even A330. It's very easy to confuse these in the heat of the moment.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I agree the agent misspoke and meant the A350, not the 380. At this point is there any lobbying to be done to persuade the airline to cycle in at least one wide body a week on that route? Even a 767 without flatbeds is preferable to the A321 or older 757. There are often celebrities and VIP travelers on this route. Most recently I flew along with former Atlanta mayor and UN Ambassador Andrew Young. I would think Delta might accommodate these and other Diamond/Platinum Medallion members. I greatly appreciate all your information and advice. pinky1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.