Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta best Choice?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Delta best Choice?

Kind of at a loss as to where we park our miles. Typically we fly YVR to SE/Asia each year via TPE. Usual carriers are China Airlines (CAL) or Eva Air (BR) and have done this for 20 years. During that time we have managed to earn a grand total 1 upgrade, since our accumulated miles are always expiring just before we can use them. We skipped a year and all earned went poof! This year we have booked:

YVR - TPE PE(A) 115%
TPE - KUL B(D) 125%
KUL - TPE B(D) 125%
TPE - YVR PE(A) 115%

So my question is what to do with these miles? So far (CAL) Dynasty has been a poor choice so was looking at Delta (no expiry) as an option....but know next to nothing about swapping between carriers. Would the full percentage of the above miles be credited? And would they be never expire there even though they were earned on (CAL)? Also I assume they could be then used for (CAL) upgrades at some later date? But enough, I'm 75 and my head hurts with these gyrations so thanx for any answers you give me.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by curiouspax
Kind of at a loss as to where we park our miles. Typically we fly YVR to SE/Asia each year via TPE. Usual carriers are China Airlines (CAL) or Eva Air (BR) and have done this for 20 years. During that time we have managed to earn a grand total 1 upgrade, since our accumulated miles are always expiring just before we can use them. We skipped a year and all earned went poof!

This year we have booked:
YVR - TPE PE(A) 115%
TPE - KUL B(D) 125%
KUL - TPE B(D) 125%
TPE - YVR PE(A) 115%

So my question is what to do with these miles? So far (CAL) Dynasty has been a poor choice so was looking at Delta (no expiry) as an option....but know next to nothing about swapping between carriers.
Would the full percentage of the above miles be credited?
And would they be never expire there even though they were earned on (CAL)?
Also I assume they could be then used for (CAL) upgrades at some later date?
But enough, I'm 75 and my head hurts with these gyrations so thanx for any answers you give me.
There is no right or wrong answer.
With few flights you will not earn many ff miles with any ffp. Many ffp's are moving to a revenue based system and not a distance based system.

Non USA airlines do not have the upgrade mentality/entitlement common with USA airlines/ USA freq flyers. The upgrade policy & method will vary. Cross airlines upgrades are uncommon. If they are possible usually have onerous t&c's (so useless for most people)

The % earned to a partner ffp will vary
https://www.wheretocredit.com/eva-airways/a
https://www.wheretocredit.com/eva-airways/d

https://www.wheretocredit.com/ci/a
https://www.wheretocredit.com/ci/d

General FFP:- Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Skyteam:- Which SkyTeam program should I sign up for?

Star Alliance: Need advice on which Star Alliance FF scheme to join? - please post here

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
You could consider Korean AIr (SkyTeam). 10 year point expiration, off-season round trip business class award between North America and China/Northeast Asia on Korean Air is 125000 miles, and can book a one-way for half that..
Earnings on the flights you listed for China AIrlines would be 100% for A, 115% for D, so 14584 miles if I did the math right.
https://www.koreanair.com/content/ko...china-airlines

But you are still going to have a tough time to accumulate the miles in time, given that you only fly once a year, and you have to expect the mileage requirements to increase over time.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

I looked at KE but It seems they severed ties with Amex...I have 150K+ of their points so looks a no go...thanks for the info though!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Taiwan based China Air is a member of SkyTeam while Eva belongs to Star Alliance. You generally can't credit flights across alliances, although some airlines have additional partners (VA and VS for DL, for example), while the Alaska program allows you to credit and spend miles on a variety of carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.