Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble evaluating value of a redemption--please help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
Trouble evaluating value of a redemption--please help

I'm having trouble evaluating the best way to take advantage of my points and miles for a particular route...

I want to book one way from SCQ (Santiago de Compostela) to DBV (Dubrovnik) on August 25

Cost on Iberia is $200 or 13,250 +$27.53. I calculated a value of 1.3 cents per point but not sure I did that right and I'm not sure if that's a good value.
I would have to transfer the points from Ultimate Rewards to my Iberia account. I have 198,000 UR points. I have the Sapphire Reserve.

OR use UR travel center to book the flight for $199 or 13,275 points

OR use Capital One points to cover the cost of the ticket. I have 120,000 Capital One points

Which would give me the highest value? Or any other ideas?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemiana
I'm having trouble evaluating the best way to take advantage of my points and miles for a particular route...

I want to book one way from SCQ (Santiago de Compostela) to DBV (Dubrovnik) on August 25

Cost on Iberia is $200 or 13,250 +$27.53. I calculated a value of 1.3 cents per point but not sure I did that right and I'm not sure if that's a good value.
I would have to transfer the points from Ultimate Rewards to my Iberia account. I have 198,000 UR points. I have the Sapphire Reserve.

OR use UR travel center to book the flight for $199 or 13,275 points

OR use Capital One points to cover the cost of the ticket. I have 120,000 Capital One points

Which would give me the highest value? Or any other ideas?
It's pretty clear that if you're going to use points, paying 13,275 + $0 is a better deal than paying 13,250 points + $27.53. Basically, 25 UR points would save you $27.53.

As to whether you should use UR points at all in such a trip depends on whether you anticipate being able to get better value from your points on future redemptions.

Unless you plan to transfer Capital One points to one of Capital One's new airline partners some day, you could just use your Capital One points to pay for this trip.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
It's pretty clear that if you're going to use points, paying 13,275 + $0 is a better deal than paying 13,250 points + $27.53. Basically, 25 UR points would save you $27.53.

As to whether you should use UR points at all in such a trip depends on whether you anticipate being able to get better value from your points on future redemptions.

Unless you plan to transfer Capital One points to one of Capital One's new airline partners some day, you could just use your Capital One points to pay for this trip.
Besides the $27.53, which is something for sure, I'll also earn miles using UR points through the portal, right? It's a long trip so I could easily blow through all my points and miles for hotels and such. That's why I'm finding it hard to pick and choose because I don't want to blow through them. Is 1.5 a good redemption value?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemiana
Besides the $27.53, which is something for sure, I'll also earn miles using UR points through the portal, right? It's a long trip so I could easily blow through all my points and miles for hotels and such. That's why I'm finding it hard to pick and choose because I don't want to blow through them. Is 1.5 a good redemption value?
You should earn miles on a ticket paid for with UR points, unless Chase has access to -- and books you into -- a special fare bucket that is not miles-earning. I'm not sure if Chase does that or not.

1.5 cents per mile is an OK redemption value, but one can certainly do better with some frequent-flyer award tickets. A lot depends on routes and class of service.

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 26, 2019 at 3:13 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

I booked it using UR points. It's in basic economy so we might not get any miles but since we've got the points we might as well use them! Thanks for your help evaluating the options!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.