Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

HELP: Need Awards Flights ASAP

Old Mar 10, 19, 11:22 am
Original Poster

We have to do a drug intervention for our daughter. :-( I have to get two people here for the intervention.They are coming from Virginia (Dulles IAD Airport) to Portland (PDX Airport) to arrive no later than 10pm this Friday, March 15 (they are okay to depart as early as Thursday evening, after 8pm...but not after 11 pm Thursday night). Then I need to return those two people from PDX to IAD on Sunday, March 17, no earlier than 3pm departure time and no later than midnight landing time).

I have to do this with miles (I have AA miles, Ultimate Rewards points). It looks like there's at least an $80 fee per person, per ticket, when using either AA or United, so that's going to be too much for me at this point, because intervention and detox and rehab places are already over $25K! I was looking at Southwest (there don't seem to be any 25k tickets available), but wasn't sure if the extra Ultimate Rewards points would end up costing me, in the long run, more than the AA/United flights with the fees. At this point, though, points are available and cash is going to be more difficult.

I also need to book a hotel in PDX for the evenings they'll be here, using Ultimate Rewards points. I've never used my points to do that, so need help, please! They don't need a super fancy place, just clean...the two will share a room (and a bed, if there's no room with two beds). Hotel should be as near the intersection of SE Division St and SE Cesar E Chavez Blvd as possible.

I need to book the flights today, so I'm hoping some of you will see this and be able to offer some great options for me. And if you have suggestions for using points for a hotel, that would be great, too!

Thanks!!

Last edited by gypsyardor; Mar 10, 19 at 11:25 am Reason: location of hotel preferred
Old Mar 10, 19, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gypsyardor View Post
We have to do a drug intervention for our daughter. :-( I have to get two people here for the intervention.They are coming from Virginia (Dulles IAD Airport) to Portland (PDX Airport) to arrive no later than 10pm this Friday, March 15 (they are okay to depart as early as Thursday evening, after 8pm...but not after 11 pm Thursday night). Then I need to return those two people from PDX to IAD on Sunday, March 17, no earlier than 3pm departure time and no later than midnight landing time).

I have to do this with miles (I have AA miles, Ultimate Rewards points). It looks like there's at least an $80 fee per person, per ticket, when using either AA or United, so that's going to be too much for me at this point, because intervention and detox and rehab places are already over $25K! I was looking at Southwest (there don't seem to be any 25k tickets available), but wasn't sure if the extra Ultimate Rewards points would end up costing me, in the long run, more than the AA/United flights with the fees. At this point, though, points are available and cash is going to be more difficult.

I also need to book a hotel in PDX for the evenings they'll be here, using Ultimate Rewards points. I've never used my points to do that, so need help, please! They don't need a super fancy place, just clean...the two will share a room (and a bed, if there's no room with two beds). Hotel should be as near the intersection of SE Division St and SE Cesar E Chavez Blvd as possible.

I need to book the flights today, so I'm hoping some of you will see this and be able to offer some great options for me. And if you have suggestions for using points for a hotel, that would be great, too!

Thanks!!
There are no close-in award-booking fees when redeeming BA or Iberia Avios for travel on AA. Both BA and Iberia are UR transfer partners, but the transfers can take one-three days. Only "MileSAAver" AA award flights are bookable with Avios; don't even think about transferring UR points to either program unless MileSAAver flights are available on your desired dates. (BA Avios can be redeemed for one-way or roundtrip award travel; Iberia Plus Avios are only available for roundtrip travel when redeeming on AA, and Iberia does not permit changes or cancellations on AA award travel.)

BA Avios -- but not IB Avios -- are also redeemable for lowest-tier award seats on AS, which I believe flies out of DCA. Not sure if AS flies DCA-PDX nonstop. BA Avios redemptions on AS require a call to the BAEC Service Center. If you can find availability on an all-AS itinerary when you do an award search at aa.com, you should be able to book those flights with BA Avios, but glitches have been known to occur.

Chase UR points can also be used to book cash airline fares; AA miles can be redeemed for hotel stays.

Good luck.
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, given the three-hour time difference between the West Coast and the East Coast, I very much doubt that anyone is going to be able to depart PDX after 3:00 pm and arrive IAD/DCA/BWI before midnight the same day.
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I wasn't thinking that through well. They have to work the following morning, so arriving too late is going to be rough on them. I guess they'll have to leave either a little bit earlier from PDX (we need to keep Sunday morning/early afternoon free in case the intervention doesn't happen on Saturday for some reason), or arrive a little bit later at IAD.

There's a SMALL chance we'll get our daughter into detox/rehab prior to this Saturday, in which case it would be extra helpful if all flights and hotels could also be refundable in some way, or another. I know that's probably asking too much, though. :-/
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:18 pm

Given circumstances, if you have sufficient UR points, it would seem best to book using the Chase portal rather than trying to transfer to BA etc. It may not be the most efficient use of points, but other ways are more difficult/risky if you are not experienced with them.
gypsyardor likes this.
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gypsyardor View Post
Thanks, I wasn't thinking that through well. They have to work the following morning, so arriving too late is going to be rough on them. I guess they'll have to leave either a little bit earlier from PDX (we need to keep Sunday morning/early afternoon free in case the intervention doesn't happen on Saturday for some reason), or arrive a little bit later at IAD.

There's a SMALL chance we'll get our daughter into detox/rehab prior to this Saturday, in which case it would be extra helpful if all flights and hotels could also be refundable in some way, or another. I know that's probably asking too much, though. :-/
AA/AS flights booked with BA Avios can be cancelled and all Avios redeposited into one's BAEC account by forfeiting the taxes collected on the award -- typically, $5.60 each way. Note that BA charges for each flight flown, so unless you can find award space on an AS nonstop, you will likely end up paying 17,500 BA Avios each way.
Old Mar 10, 19, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Okay...used Ultimate Rewards portal to buy them, because I don't have time to open new accounts/learn some things for the first time, and because I'm stressed out and just need to get this done and have one thing checked off the list. It sucks to lose so many miles, but they'd be worth their weight in gold if this intervention works. Thanks for the replies.
Old Mar 10, 19, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Hotel-wise it looks like the closest set of hotels is about 2.5 miles away. The Hyatt House Portland/Downtown is 12k/night, your UR should transfer instantly to Hyatt. Hotel would be refundable until 24 hours before I believe.

Using the Chase portal to book flights directly is a good thought but if you do have to cancel it will be the same as a normal revenue ticket which means standard airline change fees and prices are high (best I can find is about $800/person which translates to 54k/person if you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve or 64k/person if you have a regular Chase Sapphire card).

This is the absolute best thing I can find that comes closest to hitting your needs: https://flights.app.goo.gl/yuNNn -- it sends you via ATL on the outbound (avoiding potential weather issues in DTW/MSP) but requires going MSP on the way back, the 2pm DL flight on PDX - MSP seems to be the only afternoon flight across the board that hits a major hub with enough time to connect onwards to the east coast on Sunday (though you'd get in a few minutes after midnight
Yoshi212 likes this.

Search this Thread