Reload this Page >

Transfer expiring points to ...?

Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

I have 2100 Shangri-La hotel points that will expire on December 31. As the total is rather minimal, should I transfer these points to my UA account or use this as an opportunity to open an account with a program that I hope to use for future Chase UR transfers, specifically:
  • Air France & KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Flying Blue or
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
I suppose there is some risk of loss with the latter option as SQ miles expire after 36 months.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
I am not at all familiar with this hotel rewards program but according to the terms on the website you are short the minimum required to convert to miles. Maybe there is an easy way to prevent them from expiring, such as earning a few point through a travel shopping portal?

"For every 1 GC Award Point that you earn, you get 1 Airline Mile. All you need to do is convert a minimum of 2,500 GC Award Points, with subsequent 500-point increments."
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The program sent an email notification regarding the expiry date and will permit transfers of as little as 1000 points + bonus.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
This year's changes to FB make it significantly easier to keep miles earned from non-flight activity from expiring in theory so it might not be a bad time to start growing that one if you're planning on other transfers in for 2019. (FB's fraud algorithm has apparently historically sometimes gotten a bit twitchy over quick credit card point to award ticket redemptions so it might not be bad to build that balance a bit slowly) Just keep in mind that La Premeiere redemptions require Flying Blue elite status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.