Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One-way options or flexible round-trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

One-way options or flexible round-trip

I've been traveling back and forth between MCO and CPH this past year (5 flights so far), requiring a very flexible schedule, so have primarily been booking one-way fares on Norwegian. Advantages have been a one-way fare per leg the same as if I had booked a round-trip, as well as a direct flight from April - October.

However, since the direct flight is seasonal and I'm not keen to take one of Norwegian's connecting flights (the benefit of flying Norwegian kind of loses its appeal if not direct), I'm looking at other route options with only one connection. These will likely be SK, AC, LH, DL/KL, FI.

The one-way fares are exorbitant on all of those airlines, so I'm guessing I need to book a round-trip ticket, but one that will allow me to change the return (even with a reasonable fee is ok). How do I best go about reading fare rules to be sure I have a ticket that is changeable *after* the outbound has been taken?

Any tips for which of those airlines may be the easiest to work with? FYI, we will likely choose premium economy (prefer business class but it is probably out of the budget; will not fly economy). Only status is Platinum with DL (via AmEx Cent), so if there would be a way to purchase E+ and upgrade with miles to business, that would be great, but I'm having difficulty navigating DL's upgrade process (haven't done it in years). I'm hesitant to take DL if I'm only in Comfort+ because that isn't really premium economy the way, say, SK is. I'm not familiar with the premium economy product of AC or LH. For FI, I'd be looking at Saga (and latest news on FI isn't good).

Any advice is welcome.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:44 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am moving this over to the Information Desk
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I wasn't sure where it belonged.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:53 am

In general one way tickets would turn out to be expensive on Full service airlines. On low costers even if you buy a round trip, they are in principle 2 one ways.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JP108
In general one way tickets would turn out to be expensive on Full service airlines. On low costers even if you buy a round trip, they are in principle 2 one ways.
Yes, understood. I don't mind buying a roundtrip ticket on a full service airline, but I'm trying to decipher what kind of fare class I need to ensure the return portion is changeable after the outbound has been flown, even with a fee. A lot of times I see where tickets are changeable with a fee, but state that the change can only be made prior to travel. Reading fare rules these days can be daunting!

I'd be happy to purchase a round-trip ticket that has, say, a $200 (or similar) change fee per flight, as long as I can make that change after I've flown the outbound and up until a short time before the return leg. Is that possible without buying all the way up to a full price, fully flexible ticket?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"open return" ?

should get good responses from experts here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.