Wiki Posts
Search

Planning a trip to Dubai/Maldives in March 2019 using points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Planning a trip to Dubai/Maldives in March 2019 using points

Hi

I'm planning a trip with my spouse to Dubai/Maldives in March 2019.

Here's the total amount of points between my spouse and I

Hilton Honors (Diamond Status) - 330,000 + One Free Weekend Night
AAdvantage - 300,000
Arrival - 60,000
Hyatt - 80,000
Delta - 136,000
United - 56,000
Marriott - 82,000

This is what I was thinking (we are flying from NYC)

Business class round trip for 2 people via American Airlines
2 nights in Dubai (hotel TBD)
5 nights in Conrad Maldives (5th night free using Aspire)
- Overwater bungalow and hopefully free upgrade via diamond status
- Use $100 property credit at Conrad Maldives
- Use $250 Hilton resort credit for underwater restaurant

Here's the math

Conrad Maldives - 95,000 per night * 4 nights (5th night free) = $380,000 points needed
AA - 70,000 business class one way = 280,000 points needed (biz roundtrip for 2 people)

My questions are

1) Am I on the right track? Is this feasible? I know I'm short 50,000 Hilton points, but I think I can either pay the difference or open a credit card to get it in the next few months.

2) When should I book? I started looking at flights in March 2019 through the AA website and the dates for round trip business using miles are very sparse and inflexible. Is it because it's too early?

3) If I'm booking via AA, is it possible to include round trip business class with the 2 day stop in Dubai? Do I just select multi-city? Or should I just do business from NYC to Dubai and back and fly economy from Dubai to Maldives since its a short flight (~4-5 hours).

4) Any recommendations on where to stay in Dubai? I would like to use points if possible. Maybe Marriott or Hyatt? I could perhaps use the free weekend night with Hilton, since I don't think I can use that with the fifth night free, but I don't know if I will actually get to Dubai on a weekend.

5) If I were to do 2 nights in Dubai and 5 nights in Maldives, when should I depart and return taking into account travel time and to maximize my time spent there?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You should checkout the award booking stickies in the AA forum to learn about the quirks of the program and redemptions.
Awards generally open up at 330 days before travel so looking in July for the following March isn’t too late but you missed the most open period. Compounding that with wanting a prime redemption destination and wanting two premium seats and it just gets more challenging. It’s possible but will require lots of legwork.

Hilton currently has a bonus promotion on buying HHonors points so that should help with the lacking points. Have you confirmed the room category you’d like is available when you plan to travel? Hotels tend to be more generous with awards space but still it’s not always there.

5 days in the Maldives is really 3 whole days and the rest will have a large chunk of time eaten up by transport by boat or plane to the airport. The time change will also be setting in on that first day there.

Hotels in Dubai are a plenty. I’d say Park Hyatt is worthy.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jiffry1017 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by jiffry1017
2) When should I book? I started looking at flights in March 2019 through the AA website and the dates for round trip business using miles are very sparse and inflexible. Is it because it's too early?

3) If I'm booking via AA, is it possible to include round trip business class with the 2 day stop in Dubai? Do I just select multi-city? Or should I just do business from NYC to Dubai and back and fly economy from Dubai to Maldives since its a short flight (~4-5 hours).
2) No. You are probably too late, but some may show up. Awards can start to become available from 330 days out to closer to departure.
Have you looked at which airlines fly to DXB & MLE?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velana...tional_Airport

3) AA do not allow stopovers on awards. Will be priced as separate awards

----
Have you booked long haul business class awards before?
Any airline status?
Maldives is a very popular location for flight & hotel awards. Hard to get. A search on FT will find other threads on this topic.

Many threads on AA awards, includingConsider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
It you are trying to book with AA points their ME3 partner is Qatar so no you will not be able to stop in Dubai, they stop in Doha. They do partner with Etihad Airways but it is not part of one world. Etihad stops in Abu Dhabi, not far from Dubai.

However AA US to MLE cost the same amount of points and not extra when routing though the middle east 70,000 K for J. So you have enough for round trip for 2 people in J if you can find space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.