Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption advice for SIN-BKK RT in C

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Redemption advice for SIN-BKK RT in C

Next month I'm hoping to use miles or points to fly SIN - BKK - SIN in Business. I primarily earn miles and status via UA/*A so the easiest route is to use miles from my UA account to pay for the tickets but I'm interested in getting the best value for the transition that I can. I have enough points in each of these Programs as well: Citi ThankYou, Chase Ultimate Rewards and Amex Membership Rewards

So far I see the following rates when booking through each respective plan:
KrisFlyer: 40K Miles + SGD 80.50
MileagePlus: 50K Miles + USD 59.00
ANA: 55K Miles + JPY 11,610
Aeroplan: 80K Miles + CAD 77.50

I've never purchased an award ticket using Credit Card points directly, nor have I specifically booked a with a carrier from another alliance with miles/points.

What would you recommend as "best bang for the points" in C to fly SIN - BKK - SIN?

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Is J class necessary or just a want for you on this trip? The flight is just over two hours in the air and can be had in Y for under $200 return flying on TG's A350.

ANA seems the worst value as the surcharge is rather high, relatively to the other programs, and AC requires significantly more miles than others.

For UA or SQ it really comes down to which do you have the points in that you deem useable. SQ points I believe take time to transfer while UR to UA is relatively instant.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's not up to me to tell you that C is a bit of a waste on such a short flight, you must decide that yourself. Have you confirmed that these seats are available?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mongobot
Next month I'm hoping to use miles or points to fly SIN - BKK - SIN in Business
Have you checked award availability?
As above, with the cash co -pay seems poor value
A quick google search SIN-BKK shows "27+ flights per day, 2h 25m duration"
Paying extra for an exit row on one of those would improve the comfort for not much money.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, Yoshi.

Although it's a fairly short flight, I'm pretty set on flying in C. I'll concede that $200 on TG in Y is not too bad.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

@LondonElite & @Mwenenzi: Thank you both. Yes, currently a fair amount of availability for award tickets for the dates I'm interested in.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Also, don't forget that CX operates a return trip between SIN & BKK midday on a A350 which also offers PE.
mongobot and Duke787 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Also, don't forget that CX operates a return trip between SIN & BKK midday on a A350 which also offers PE.
This is going to be the cheapest option for OP

15k BA + $56 each direction

Can transfer either TYP or AMEX MR
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:30 am
Original Poster

@Duke787 - thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Duke787
This is going to be the cheapest option for OP

15k BA + $56 each direction

Can transfer either TYP or AMEX MR
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by mongobot
Next month I'm hoping to use miles or points to fly SIN - BKK - SIN in Business. I primarily earn miles and status via UA/*A so the easiest route is to use miles from my UA account to pay for the tickets but I'm interested in getting the best value for the transition that I can. I have enough points in each of these Programs as well: Citi ThankYou, Chase Ultimate Rewards and Amex Membership Rewards

So far I see the following rates when booking through each respective plan:
KrisFlyer: 40K Miles + SGD 80.50
MileagePlus: 50K Miles + USD 59.00
ANA: 55K Miles + JPY 11,610
Aeroplan: 80K Miles + CAD 77.50

I've never purchased an award ticket using Credit Card points directly, nor have I specifically booked a with a carrier from another alliance with miles/points.

What would you recommend as "best bang for the points" in C to fly SIN - BKK - SIN?

Thanks!
Purchasing miles is not really cheap. Since you have UA miles, if I were you, I will make use of the UA miles.

SQ Krisflyer miles is USD40/1,000 miels. So if you need to buy 40K miles, it will cost you USD1,600. I may as well buy the ticket directly. SIN-BKK-SIN round trip cost around SGD800-1000
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
SIN-BKK timing is OK. But BKK-SIN timing is before noon which may not be ideal to some people, as you may need to leave for airport no later than 10am..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.