German Points/Miles/Credit Card Sites

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 4:19 am
cfp
Original Poster

Programs: BA
German Points/Miles/Credit Card Sites

Hi all,

I'm moving to Frankfurt for work (blame Brexit!), and was wondering if there was a German equivalent to the Head For Points blog, ideally in English?

In any case, it would be good to hear people's recommendations for German credit cards etc.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Old May 31, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
For English-language you are best off to stick here. The LH forum is very active. As for credit cards, forget it. The selection is no better than the UK. The only thing worth having is the LH M&M MasterCard. There are no mega-bonus offers as in the US. Enjoy the significantly higher standard of living in Frankfurt!
Old May 31, 2018, 8:59 am
cfp
Original Poster

You don't rate Amex Gold/Platinum in Germany?

What about German language sites?
Old May 31, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfp
You don't rate Amex Gold/Platinum in Germany?

What about German language sites?
The German Amex Platinum is very similar to the UK version. I have both, the MR earning/redeeming is slightly weaker. Certainly get it, but it's nothing to get super-excited about. As for German-language sites, check out

https://www.vielfliegertreff.de

but I think you'll be better off here.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
For English-language you are best off to stick here. The LH forum is very active. As for credit cards, forget it. The selection is no better than the UK. The only thing worth having is the LH M&M MasterCard.
I'd respectfully disagree.

The Amex Gold offers much better value than the LH Mastercard, or pretty much any Visa or Mastercard these days in my opinion (and if you have a decent amount of spending, it's not impossible to negotiate a (permanent) fee waiver for the Amex Gold). The value of the Amex Plat card is more questionable.

Otherwise I agree - the M&M forum here on FT tends be quite active (and I believe there's a large overlap in terms of FT and VFT members). This thread may be useful though on VFT:
https://www.vielfliegertreff.de/mile...-aktionen.html
(you don't need to speak German to get the gist of most posts, e.g. "buy newspaper xyz for 3 months and get 10000 Miles&More miles")
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:04 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by cfp
In any case, it would be good to hear people's recommendations for German credit cards etc.
There's not too much in terms of CC. A few worth mentioning:
- The M&M card (sign-up bonus, collect points, prevent M&M miles from expiring)
- The EW Gold card (modest sign-up bonus, grants you security Gold track access when flying EW; can be useful if you don't get Gold track through FF status)
- Amex Gold/Plat (already discussed above)
- DKB Hilton Honors Visa (collect HH points, provides HH gold status)
- Payback Amex (most sign-up bonus, collect Payback points which can be transferred into M&M at a ratio of 1:1)

EDIT: But, as others have posted, CC aren't that promising in Germany. For miles and points, it's worth checking out the above-mentioned "recovered paper" thread on VFT. (Subscribe to a magazine/newspaper, earn lots of points.) Payback is another popular way to generate points (requires getting familiar with extra-point ecoupons).
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:31 am
cfp
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for these extra pointers @Jasper2009 and @1flyer. Very helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.