New to traveling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to traveling

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Explorer | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Schwab Investor Amex
Question New to traveling

No idea if this belongs here or in the United airlines thread.
This is my first international trip. Ill be going to Japan and Thailand. My flight begins in SBP where ill leave on the early flight to SFO. Ill have a short layover until I go to NRT. Have a 3 hour layover before boarding ANA to go to BKK. I got United club passes and I am flying premium econ my entire trip except where ANA won't allow me to upgrade NRT to BKK and then back BKK to HND. On my way back is when Ill be spending time in Japan that is why I picked to go through HND on the way back. Cause ill be in Tokyo...

Can someone explain the flight connect here on flyertalk as well?

Really looking for advice and what time they serve food on the SFO-NRT route and on the HND SFO route. What can I pack for food that will go through customs? How easy will it be to get some sleep going across the ocean?
General advice and anything else.
Thanks!
A really new person to international travel. - PS I have flown many domestic routes so I am not that new to traveling on a plane.
Most of the routes I fly on are SBP SFO to ORD and I have made this trip ~15 times in the last 2 years.

Last edited by newtoflying101; Apr 29, 2018 at 3:28 am
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by newtoflying101
No idea if this belongs here or in the United airlines thread.
This is my first international trip. Ill be going to Japan and Thailand. My flight begins in SBP where ill leave on the early flight to SFO. Ill have a short layover until I go to NRT. Have a 3 hour layover before boarding ANA to go to BKK. I got United club passes and I am flying premium econ my entire trip except where ANA won't allow me to upgrade NRT to BKK and then back BKK to HND. On my way back is when Ill be spending time in Japan that is why I picked to go through HND on the way back. Cause ill be in Tokyo...

Can someone explain the flight connect here on flyertalk as well?

Really looking for advice and what time they serve food on the SFO-NRT route and on the HND SFO route. What can I pack for food that will go through customs? How easy will it be to get some sleep going across the ocean?
General advice and anything else.
Thanks!
A really new person to international travel. - PS I have flown many domestic routes so I am not that new to traveling on a plane.
Most of the routes I fly on are SBP SFO to ORD and I have made this trip ~15 times in the last 2 years.
On international flights they still give you enough food, so unless you have special dietary issues, a few snacks you like should be all you need.
Different people all respond differently to sleeping on airplanes. I've had the best luck with bad movies.

In Thailand, be careful of "crafty strangers" who are near all the tourist areas. there is no such problem in Japan, but outside
the touriset areas, everyone has had 6 years of English and nobody can speak a word.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:07 am

I really enjoy flying on ANA (even in Y). Clean planes, good food, excellent service (on board and on the ground), comfortable seats and lots of room on the 787s and the 777s.

I've flown with them TPAC a few times, including from SFO, and the quality has been consistently excellent.

I can't speak to premium econ, but I'm guessing it will be up to the same standard.

As I recall, they served a large meal shortly after take-off and a snack before landing coming and going.

I can't help too much with the connection--last time I stopped in Tokyo going, and had to transfer between Narita and Haneda coming back.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Explorer | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Schwab Investor Amex
I am not worried about crafty strangers since Ill be staying with a friend in rural Thailand. And I will be with English speakers.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Regarding your question about connecting in Tokyo, NRT makes transit easy.
Take a look at this thread (from the UA forum) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...stics-nrt.html ... both airlines share the same terminal ... so the process is the same ...
NH is one of the better airlines for the quality of its catering ... as you're in Premium Economy, you won't go hungry.
What sort of food are wanting to pack? Be very careful about bringing food into Japan - there are lots of restrictions ...
As to sleep, there is no one answer ... read this recent thread How do you sleep on planes?
As you say this is your first international trip, make sure you carry (separately) copies of your travel (passport) and insurance documents in case they get lost or stolen ...
Suggest you register with the US State Department STEP program for your time in Thailand ... registers you with the embassy there and provides local contact numbers for emergency etc
Also, don't under-estimate the effect of jet lag (the time difference between the US west coast and Thailand) on your body clock ... give yourself several days to acclimate ...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Regarding your question about connecting in Tokyo, NRT makes transit easy. ...
I am not flying ANA except the routes NRT - BKK and BKK - HND. Also that is NOT premium econ. I would have bought it but ANA does not allow upgrading economy to premium even though I booked premium with UNITED. Makes me a little on edge they don't let you upgrade since I am quite tall and the extra room helps.
I am already on Thai time (I find it easier to get my work done this way too) So jet lag is not an issue.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by newtoflying101
I am not flying ANA except the routes NRT - BKK and BKK - HND. Also that is NOT premium econ. I would have bought it but ANA does not allow upgrading economy to premium even though I booked premium with UNITED. Makes me a little on edge they don't let you upgrade since I am quite tall and the extra room helps.
I am already on Thai time (I find it easier to get my work done this way too) So jet lag is not an issue.
UA does not have a premium economy cabin. They have economy plus, which is just a little extra legroom. It's very different. NH may be prepared to sell you an upgrade to PE at the airport.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
UA does not have a premium economy cabin. They have economy plus, which is just a little extra legroom. It's very different. NH may be prepared to sell you an upgrade to PE at the airport.
How to request premium economy upgrade?
Old May 1, 2018, 4:23 am
Original Poster

I didn't even notice I said premium econ. I always say econ plus except this time I guess.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Since you seem to be planning to bring food onboard (though you really shouldn't need to, except maybe a pre-packaged snack or two if you're diabetic or otherwise need to eat frequently), note that International restrictions on food are rarely/never "outbound" -- only "inbound". So aside from alcohol and other liquids sourced from outside of airport security, you can pretty much bring whatever you want onto the plane itself. But, in general, you MUST eat it or throw it away before you disembark. Things like granola bars or trail mix are fine, regardless. But any meats, cheeses, fruit, etc... will potentially run afoul of regs, and could result in huge fines if you're caught with them. (And those food-sniffing beagles in Customs are pretty darned good at finding it!) Both over-water legs will serve you a meal about an hour after takeoff, and a smaller meal about 90 minutes prior to arrival. Snacks should/will be available in the galley mid-flight, but don't get too excited about the quality or selection... mid-flight (if you're not sleeping) is where a decent granola bar or two will benefit you.

NRT is an easy connection. You just go through the equivalent of TSA security again, and then you're right back in the departures area.

Basically, don't get hung up on the "International-ness" of it all. Getting on an airplane to fly SFO-NRT is not substantially different than getting on one to fly SFO-NYC... just a little longer. And with more annoying rigamarole at the end. (Yeah... enjoy BKK immigration and customs. If you arrive at a busy time, it can be a total zoo!)

But otherwise, relax and enjoy! Sounds like a great trip.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
As stated, you don't go through customs leaving the country, just inbound. There will be plenty of places along the way to fill up on snacks. I rarely eat airline food (although the sundae I had last week was to die for!). I usually tend to bring my own water with me when flying in Y. They don't top me off enough for my liking and I don't want to be a bother. Stay hydrated, get up and stretch. Also, make sure you have your passport handy when you check in @sbp. Even though that's your domestic leg, they'll ask for it to make sure your docs are sorted. Int'l traveling is much more exciting.More interesting things to look at (people, planes, food, etc). Have fun, good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.