Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

North Asia to Europe: Which carrier for best comfort and free seat selection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

I would like to fly in coach from North Asia (Japan, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul, ...) to Europe (HEL/FRA).
While I don't have any SkyTeam status, I am Oneworld Emerald (BAEC Gold + LATAM Black) and *AG (A3 Gold).

*A/OW options I've seen are JL, AY, OZ, CX, LH, NH, ... but I guess there's even more (BR?).
Of course we would like to get exit-row seats and I've made the experience that for example OZ doesn't let elites select exit row seats for free.
I've also read that JL at least doesn't let you select a seat for free if the flight is booked as a codeshare, etc.

Any other things you'd take into consideration or product you'd recommend? Any airlines that upgrade alliance elites a lot (the friend I'll be traveling with most likely won't have any status though - and I'll have to add him to my booking, so we can select a seat for free for him as well...)?
I'd love to fly from HKG for the CX First Class lounges (which I still haven't been to!), but the HKG-FRA flight is in the morning, and I don't feel like going to the airport at 6 AM just to have enough time for free champagne...

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:16 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I'd love to fly from HKG for the CX First Class lounges (which I still haven't been to!), but the HKG-FRA flight is in the morning, and I don't feel like going to the airport at 6 AM just to have enough time for free champagne....
CX to FRA leaves HKG at 12:35 AM, not in the morning.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:42 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Among other things

You will have to decide if city with your friends is more important then possibly being upgraded. I will leave it to others who are more knowledgeable to give information about potential upgrades, but I am pretty sure if you’re on the same PNR with someone with no status your odds go down dramatically and less there’s a buy up at the gate.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
oneworld Airlines: AA, AY, BA, CX-KA, IB, JL, LA et al, MH, QR, RJ, S7, UL.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
What? Where did I claim otherwise?
i booked NH now btw - codeshared as LH because it was cheaper...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.