Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling more frequently and now in a bind

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Travelling more frequently and now in a bind

Hi Everyone,

Really looking for help to figure out what to do here.

I was originally *A with US Airways and when that got changed, I was left with around 200k AAdvantage miles. I had a Starwood Amex and would regularly transfer my miles into that. This coincided with my job changing meaning I parked this situation.

My new job frequently has me flying all over Europe (I'm based in the UK and fly out of MAN) and so now I'm not sure what to do.

As a kneejerk, I signed up to BA oneworld and got the creditcard, but these days I rarely fly a OneWorld Airline as I'm in MAN and not London and have built up 2 companion vouchers through nothing but credit card spend.

My priorities would be lounge access as well as being able to have a nice holiday with my wife at some stage. I think I'll also be flying about twice a month in economy to Europe and maybe once or twice a year to the US.

Any help would be much appreciated to figure out what I do and which miles program I should be using.

Thanks everyone,

John
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's happened to your 200K AA miles? They can expire if not careful

UK-Eu (short - low cost?) trips will not get many ff miles in any program.
Status (= lounge access) will be a hard grind

General:- Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Oneworld:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here]

Star Alliance: Need advice on which Star Alliance FF scheme to join? - please post here

Skyteam:- Which SkyTeam program should I sign up for?

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
With such a low level of flying you are going to struggle with status. Presume Y on the shorthaul and J on the transatlantic?

It may just make sense to use Easyjet/Ryanair non-stops for the Europe flying, then use any for the twice yearly longhauls. Buy a priority pass for lounge access.

If you really do want to stick to an alliance then my assessment would be that Skyteam/Virgin would work best for you. AF/KLM for the Euroe flights (connecting in CDG/AMS) then Virgin/Delta across the pond. Virgin has a decent number of nonstops out of MAN now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.