Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to find a decent fare from DC to Punta Cana PUJ

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Trying to find a decent fare from DC to Punta Cana PUJ

Hey all!
I was looking to take my gf to Punta Cana for two weeks from Dec 15(outbound) to Jan 1(inbound).
It looks like the airlines have cut off all the Saver awards for this particular period(United, AA, etc). If I want to use the miles, I will be forced to spend 100K+, which is crazy considering that its in the Western Hemi and so am I.
Expedia doen't have anything better either. A week ago the trip was $700, not its $1050-ish.

Anyone has an advise how should I proceed? Any hope that prices will drop in the last week before travel?

Should I just get $1050 DC to Punta Cana PUJ flight?

I really appreciate your input!

Last edited by ukrsindicat; Nov 26, 2017 at 12:57 pm Reason: error in original post
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You've mixed up what outbound and inbound mean.

Also, 3 days ago you were 21 days out from the day of travel. Now you're not. That's a commonly used threshold for airlines for where fares increase. It is unlikely that you'll see a significant drop IMO given that you lost the 21-day advance purchase fares.

Also, Christmas/New Years travel to the Caribbean is rarely cheap. If price is a major concern I'd consider alternate destinations.

Finally, this isn't a MR. I've asked the mods to move the thread.
ukrsindicat likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Finally, this isn't a MR. I've asked the mods to move the thread.
Thank you!
Just so I know for the future, whats "MR"?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ukrsindicat
Thank you!
Just so I know for the future, whats "MR"?
MR = mileage run: a trip taken to earn cheap redeemable and/or elite-qualifying miles.
ukrsindicat likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Do you have flexibility with those dates? If so, play around with different combination on Google Flights. Also, if you can leave a little earlier, and also return a few days earlier, I am seeing fares at more than half less. Also, check BWI departures/arrivals for better pricing.

As far as awards go, looks like there are still some saver redemptions on the 13th via UA, including nonstop from IAD at 12.5K; likewise on or around return date in 2018.
ukrsindicat likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is always possible that RM for any given carrier will predict a vast drop in demand and thus chop the price, but this holiday --- with the markets climbing every day --- that is beyond unlikely. At this point if you want to travel on those dates, I would grab what you can or go somewhere else. As fare buckets are bought out, only even higher fares will be left and eventually flights will be sold out.
ukrsindicat likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Do you have flexibility with those dates?
Unfortunately, Im limited to those dates by military leave. I will try your recommendations! Thank you for your help
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The airlines have not cut off Saver Awards for the particular period. Awards open up ~330 days before travel so for peak time and prime destinations those award flights get taken quickly. They're a limited commodity which you have to plan accordingly with. Chalk this up to an introduction to award travel.
I do agree with you that using miles for such travel would be a really poor value/use though. Two weeks in the DR is a long time. Can you break it up a bit? Maybe DC to Mexico/Florida/New Orleans and then on to the Caribbean?

Hey all!
I was looking to take my gf to Punta Cana for two weeks from Dec 15(outbound) to Jan 1(inbound).
It looks like the airlines have cut off all the Saver awards for this particular period(United, AA, etc). If I want to use the miles, I will be forced to spend 100K+, which is crazy considering that its in the Western Hemi and so am I.
Expedia doen't have anything better either. A week ago the trip was $700, not its $1050-ish.

Anyone has an advise how should I proceed? Any hope that prices will drop in the last week before travel?

Should I just get $1050 DC to Punta Cana PUJ flight?

I really appreciate your input!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The airlines have not cut off Saver Awards for the particular period. Awards open up ~330 days before travel so for peak time and prime destinations those award flights get taken quickly. They're a limited commodity which you have to plan accordingly with. Chalk this up to an introduction to award travel.
I do agree with you that using miles for such travel would be a really poor value/use though. Two weeks in the DR is a long time. Can you break it up a bit? Maybe DC to Mexico/Florida/New Orleans and then on to the Caribbean?
I agree with early planning part. Crazy enough, I was monitoring United's Saver Award for Punta Cana since September. From that point, they were already not available. Which made me think that airline completely blocked off the Saver Awards for the high demand period.

As for dates and locations, unfortunately, I already picked up my GF's ticket so Im committed to those days.

I do appreciate your insight though!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Unfortunately, Im limited to those dates by military leave. I will try your recommendations! Thank you for your help
First - Thank You for your service to our country! Second, Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Enjoy your Vacation
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
First - Thank You for your service to our country! Second, Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Enjoy your Vacation
Thank you, guys!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:11 am

I checked on the hopper app which checks against its database of historical fares and the fare is not likely to go down. You could check SDQ (if renting a car) and drive. Or leave a few days earlier to save money. Also check leaving from/to PHL, BWI, NYC if there is a signifcant saving. A one way car rental between airport is often sub-$100

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.