Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Hotel Theft from Luggage Room in Stockholm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist

Hi, I would like some advice about a situation from a couple days ago.

I left my suitcase at a 4 star upmarket hotel over the weekend in Stockholm and checked into their sister property because the hotel was sold out. The luggage room was full but the attendant said he would put my suitcase upstairs in a different room since I would be gone overnight.

When I returned to continue my stay at the hotel, everyone seemed to know who I was. The Guest Relations Manager approached me and walked me up to the room where my luggage was held and showed me an opened suitcase (ripped zipper, one end still attached to the lock) with almost all the contents missing. She said the hotel just found out that there was a theft over the weekend when they came into the room and saw my suitcase opened with items everywhere (which they then put into my suitcase). They had video of 2 people (who she described looked like "junkies" and NOT hotel guests) breaking into the room. In addition, she said that security had seen one person downstairs with 2 full plastic bags, approached him and the person ran out of the hotel.

The hotel does NOT deny that there was a theft. They filed a police report on my behalf.

They are figuring out how to compensate me.

I have talked to another Manager (who might be the Assistant General Manager) and she asked for a list of all missing items with their replacement costs. She declined giving me the hotel insurance information and also said the hotel would not be contacting their insurance about their losses (which might be a couple electronics). She said that I could buy some essentials to tide me through. (Which because of miscommunication, it sounds like they won't reimburse me for the items I purchased.) She, along with all the people from the hotel I've talked to, emphasized that I should talk to my insurance. (I don't have insurance that will cover this, I already looked into this.)

The concierge did buy me a new suitcase since mine was unusable.

The hotel did refund me the points I used for the 3 night stay (although it was after I inquired about this).

I will be back in Stockholm this week to continue the conversation. The loss is ~$6000.

What would you do? What would you ask for? (I also have a decent social media following in travel and know/interact with many travel bloggers, which I believe the hotel is aware of, although I haven't emphasized this.) The hotel is also part of a large chain. Also, the Managers all insist that they cannot give me any monetary compensation without receipts since it would be "against the law."

I find it strange that the General Manager hasn't talked to me for a situation that everyone is describing as "never happened before" and "shocking." Also, it seems like the hotel does not want to include corporate into the conversation, since the Manager emphasized that any compensation would be out of the hotel's pocket.

I haven't mentioned the hotel by name since I don't want it to negatively affect their proposal. I had hoped that they would have sent a proposal before my return trip to Stockholm but it sounds like the Guest Services Manager wants to meet to discuss after I arrive.

I only have 2 days in Stockholm and I live in USA so ideally I can get compensated on my upcoming trip.

Thank you very much for reading and your advice.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:19 pm

They should be covering all your losses from their insurance, at a minimum.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
If it were me-
1. Notify my insurance company
2. Buy immediately everything needed for balance of trip.
3. Make a list with replacement cost of all missing items.
4. Send documentation for #2 & #3 to both the hotel and insurance company.

Whatever the hotel pays (whether from the hotel or their insurance) reduces your loss and balance is from your insurance.
I would hope the hotel makes you whole and provides some type of additional compensation (whether cash, free nights, points, etc.)
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lifeisart
...and also said the hotel would not be contacting their insurance about their losses (which might be a couple electronics).
To the tune of $6000?!?

(I don't have insurance that will cover this, I already looked into this.)
No homeowners nor renters insurance?

Hotels will, by default, disavow liability for losses incurred in their storage rooms. I do not know Swedish law but assume that there is some section of it that covers this liability. And I'm guessing that the hotel is likely in the clear, though that may not be correct. Proving negligence on the part of the hotel to "allow" the theft would likely be difficult.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Hi, I would like some advice about a situation from a couple days ago.

I left my suitcase at a 4 star upmarket hotel over the weekend in Stockholm and checked into their sister property because the hotel was sold out. The luggage room was full but the attendant said he would put my suitcase upstairs in a different room since I would be gone overnight.

When I returned to continue my stay at the hotel, everyone seemed to know who I was. The Guest Relations Manager approached me and walked me up to the room where my luggage was held and showed me an opened suitcase (ripped zipper, one end still attached to the lock) with almost all the contents missing. She said the hotel just found out that there was a theft over the weekend when they came into the room and saw my suitcase opened with items everywhere (which they then put into my suitcase). They had video of 2 people (who she described looked like "junkies" and NOT hotel guests) breaking into the room. In addition, she said that security had seen one person downstairs with 2 full plastic bags, approached him and the person ran out of the hotel.

The hotel does NOT deny that there was a theft. They filed a police report on my behalf.

They are figuring out how to compensate me.

I have talked to another Manager (who might be the Assistant General Manager) and she asked for a list of all missing items with their replacement costs. She declined giving me the hotel insurance information and also said the hotel would not be contacting their insurance about their losses (which might be a couple electronics). She said that I could buy some essentials to tide me through. (Which because of miscommunication, it sounds like they won't reimburse me for the items I purchased.) She, along with all the people from the hotel I've talked to, emphasized that I should talk to my insurance. (I don't have insurance that will cover this, I already looked into this.)

The concierge did buy me a new suitcase since mine was unusable.

The hotel did refund me the points I used for the 3 night stay (although it was after I inquired about this).

I will be back in Stockholm this week to continue the conversation. The loss is ~$6000.

What would you do? What would you ask for? (I also have a decent social media following in travel and know/interact with many travel bloggers, which I believe the hotel is aware of, although I haven't emphasized this.) The hotel is also part of a large chain. Also, the Managers all insist that they cannot give me any monetary compensation without receipts since it would be "against the law."

I find it strange that the General Manager hasn't talked to me for a situation that everyone is describing as "never happened before" and "shocking." Also, it seems like the hotel does not want to include corporate into the conversation, since the Manager emphasized that any compensation would be out of the hotel's pocket.

I haven't mentioned the hotel by name since I don't want it to negatively affect their proposal. I had hoped that they would have sent a proposal before my return trip to Stockholm but it sounds like the Guest Services Manager wants to meet to discuss after I arrive.

I only have 2 days in Stockholm and I live in USA so ideally I can get compensated on my upcoming trip.

Thank you very much for reading and your advice.
Sorry to learn of your misfortune.

Were any of the expensive items recently purchased (i.e., within the past 90 days), using a credit card that offers theft protection?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Free stay and new suitcase seems very nice.
Do you have receipts for $6000 of losses? To be blunt, that sounds unbelievable. I would not expect them to reimburse that full amount as it far exceeds the standard value of the contents of luggage. In the future, if you have such valuable contents , I would make the contents known, take special precautions, and have special insurance.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I get very nervous when I leave luggage behind at a hotel. I have seen large groups do this, which overwhelms the room, resulting the hotel leaving bags in the open.

When I do leave a bag, I try to carry items in a small bag so that I only have clothes and toiletries in the stored bag.

So sorry to hear of dishonesty Swedish thieves
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you for your response.

I don't have insurance, however.

I have already done 2 (since the manager offered this) + 3 and am waiting for the hotel's response.

What (additional) compensation would you ask for?

Originally Posted by zebranz
If it were me-
1. Notify my insurance company
2. Buy immediately everything needed for balance of trip.
3. Make a list with replacement cost of all missing items.
4. Send documentation for #2 & #3 to both the hotel and insurance company.

Whatever the hotel pays (whether from the hotel or their insurance) reduces your loss and balance is from your insurance.
I would hope the hotel makes you whole and provides some type of additional compensation (whether cash, free nights, points, etc.)
Yes I do actually ... and a significant part of it are borrowed items from a designer for a collaboration I am doing with him.

I actually didn't care for a new suitcase but my old suitcase was completely unusable since the thieves completely ripped apart the zipper. Given the state of the room and also how my suitcase was found, a new suitcase could hardly be considered compensation.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Do you have receipts for $6000 of losses? To be blunt, that sounds unbelievable. I would not expect them to reimburse that full amount as it far exceeds the standard value of the contents of luggage. In the future, if you have such valuable contents , I would make the contents known, take special precautions, and have special insurance.
How would you recommend getting the hotel insurance information? This was also advice I got from an American lawyer friend.

Originally Posted by AllieKat
They should be covering all your losses from their insurance, at a minimum.
Thank you for your message.

Many of the items are recent acquisitions although not purchased using a credit card with theft protection unfortunately.

What would you ask for in this situation? Hotel points? It was a very shocking experience, one that has never happened to me in all my years of travel and leaving suitcases at hotels.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Sorry to learn of your misfortune.

Were any of the expensive items recently purchased (i.e., within the past 90 days), using a credit card that offers theft protection?

Last edited by beckoa; Dec 13, 2017 at 5:08 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
First of all it is important to note that this is not the US, i.e. any hopes of getting excessive compensation (like in additional compensation/punitive damages) will not be entertained (regardless how "shocking" the experience was for you) by the hotel (nor by their Insurance company). You need to make a list of all the missing items and state the value of each item. You are probably also going to need receipts as USD 6,000 is a very large amount and will most likely not be accepted without proper documentation. It may be easier to get compensation from your own insurance company (if you have insurance coverage for incidents like this). I think the hotel so far has treated you very well by refunding your miles/points as there is no obligation to do so at all.

Secondly, you have no right to get the details of the insurance program of the hotel. Whether or not the hotel is insured for such incidents or is going to file a claims with its insurance company, is really not your business. You have a claim against the hotel and that is it.

Last edited by SK AAR; Nov 27, 2017 at 3:05 am
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
You mentioned the hotel provided a new suitcase- if quality acceptable then fine, if not (like mine are B&R) then you should include another case.
You stated the hotel made your stay free by refunding your points paid. I think quite reasonable.
Additional compensation- none really entitle but maybe they would give you the next stay for free in a nicer room (if you want it)
Insurance- I assume you verified with your homeowners/renters policy, company travel policy, credit card company (used on trip), and anyplace else you could think of.
The last is to wait until all settled and contact the corporate office of the chain involved, explain everything in a short version and ask for additional points, suite nights or something similar.
I think the hotel is doing their best to and not expect much more- just hope for them to over the top.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Yeah, would agree with this - who has $6,000 worth of stuff in a suitcase on travel? - and if I did, there's no way in hell I'm leaving the expensive stuff behind.

I have left a suitcase many times - but there's nothing in it except clothes and maybe some toiletries (an electric shaver probably being the most expensive single item - and that's just $150)

I guess its possible to have had stuff for work - equipment & such, but them as you said I would have made sure I had documentation for all of it - and made the hotel aware before leaving it..
Beano likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm shocked about what happened to the OP's belongings.

As the OP has not specified what chain this was from, we'll move this post to a non specific hotel forum for now.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.