Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Why do airlines refuse seating choice on codeshare flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do airlines refuse seating choice on codeshare flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
Question Why do airlines refuse seating choice on codeshare flights?

I am not sure in which section to post, please remove if necessary.

We can read countless threads on the ordeal of passagers who try to select a seat on codeshare flights. Codeshare flights happen in a number of situations. In this case, I was looking for a flight from LYS (France) to TYO (Japan), with ANA (All Nippon Airways). I found a LYS-BRU-NRT flight, the first flight is operated by Brussels Airlines and the second one by ANA. ANA does not operate from LYS, so I could not avoid a codeshare flight, should it go to BRU or CDG, before the second flight to NRT.

I can't select the 2 seats for my partner and I on the Brussels Airlines flight, before the 24h window check-in process.

Now my question: why do airlines make it so hard, or often impossible, to select a seat on codeshare flights? What do they gain from it? It seems like computers did not exist, or like airlines want to punish passengers on codeshare flights, why is it so?

Thanks for your input!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For one, they may use completely different Computer Reservation Systems, such as Sabre vs. Amadeus. Another is their systems are rarely linked in meaningful ways: even with AA and BA they both give you different Passenger Name Records, so you have to get your AA PNR (BA can find your ressie with your AA PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.