Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing Cigarettes in Carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Bringing Cigarettes in Carry-on

Hello!

I will soon be traveling to Poland together with my parents, whilst there I would like to bring home some cigarettes, seeing as they're like four times cheaper than here in Norway.

Seeing as I'm only 16 I wouldn't want my parents to figure out that I'm bringing home smokes (I know I shouldn't be smoking, you don't have to tell me) Anyway, If i were to put like five packs in my personal carry-on baggage, would it be checked in the x-ray thing, or would there be any way of my parents finding out?

I know it's legal to bring cigarettes, I just don't want my parents to find out.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If this were 5 cartons there might be an issue as a tax would probably be owed, but 5 packs is not much (unless this is a difference in terminology used in the US and EU). The x-ray machine will see the cigarettes but more than likely nothing will be said as it's not an issue.

If something were to require your bag to be opened in front of your parents you could always claim they were for a friend that asked you to bring some back because they're so cheap, but yeah you shouldn't smoke. It's bad for you and expensive.

Enjoy you flights and Poland.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Better to hide them in your parents bag. Bring 4-5 cartons, as you can resell them for a handsome profit. Nothing bad could happen, right?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well, they might open your bag for other reasons, like to check your iPad or because they found a bottle of shampoo. But five pages of smokes is really no big deal.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:15 pm

Keister them.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Pol123
Hello!
I know it's legal to bring cigarettes, I just don't want my parents to find out.
Legal to bring cigarettes does not mean legal for you to bring cigarettes. The legal age to purchase and smoke in Poland is the same as in Norway - 18.

Interestingly, possession may not be the same issue as purchase and/or usage.

Keistering does seem to be one possible solution. Midnight Express taught us that smuggling can be a great way to meet the locals.

Maybe get a tattoo and a piercing and then the smokes won't seem like such a big deal to your folks.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
Legal to bring cigarettes does not mean legal for you to bring cigarettes. The legal age to purchase and smoke in Poland is the same as in Norway - 18.

Interestingly, possession may not be the same issue as purchase and/or usage.

Keistering does seem to be one possible solution. Midnight Express taught us that smuggling can be a great way to meet the locals.

Maybe get a tattoo and a piercing and then the smokes won't seem like such a big deal to your folks.
I know that atleast in Norway, and I think in Poland too, I'm allowed to carry and smoke cigarettes, I'm not afraid of legal trouble, just afraid of my parents finding out. Do you think my bag would be checked if I were to hide some packs in my laptop bag?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

I know that atleast in Norway, and I think in Poland too, I'm allowed to carry and smoke cigarettes, I'm not afraid of legal trouble, just afraid of my parents finding out. Do you think my bag would be checked if I were to hide some packs in my laptop bag?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Pol123
The odds are that it won't be. However, counting on these odds is never a good idea. The fact that you are concealing something will, unless you are a trained actor, lead to small behavior changes. Customs personnel are trained to notice these behaviors. They do their job well. There are also random checks, which seem to happen at the worst possible times. It is not worth the risk to save the price difference on a few packs of cigarettes.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fleck
Keister them.
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
Keistering does seem to be one possible solution.
Ah! So that's why one end of the cigarette is brown!!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:47 am

Need reply ASAP

Pol123, ( OR ANYONE THAT KNOWS THE ANSWER) I’m a 16 year old coming back from Greece to England with a packet of cigarettes . I understand you’re allowed to take them legally , but like pol123, I don’t want my dad knowing . So can someone give me a straight up answer . Will my dad find out when I’m going through security ? Like if they see it in my bag will they take me to the side and question me or will they not care ? I’m fairly tall and look my age but I can’t be bothered to Ben caught and just want a legit straight up answer ( preferably from someone with experience )
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Henrytwothousandandtwo02
Pol123, ( OR ANYONE THAT KNOWS THE ANSWER) I’m a 16 year old coming back from Greece to England with a packet of cigarettes . I understand you’re allowed to take them legally , but like pol123, I don’t want my dad knowing . So can someone give me a straight up answer . Will my dad find out when I’m going through security ? Like if they see it in my bag will they take me to the side and question me or will they not care ? I’m fairly tall and look my age but I can’t be bothered to Ben caught and just want a legit straight up answer ( preferably from someone with experience )
1 packet? As in 20 sticks?

airport security aren’t interested in cigarettes. As others have said, they’ll only open your bag if there is something else upsetting to them- electronics, liquids etc. If you do a decent job removing all that stuff in advance the only reason to open your bag would be a random search, which there’s not a lot you can do to avoid

The UK is still in the EU/customs union so customs won’t be interested either- you can bring as many cigarettes as you want as long as it’s for personal use

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.