Wiki Posts
Search

Combinability Rules

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Combinability Rules

What constitutes a side trip on an itinerary? I have a fare that says, "End on End not permitted. Side trips permitted."

Suppose I have a roundtrip fare JFK-NCE with a layover in CDG; can I add a roundtrip CDG-MUC in the middle of this? Thus, the outbound itinerary is JFK-CDG-MUC-CDG-NCE, and the inbound trip is NCE-CDG-JFK.

Is this correct? Am I missing anything?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:57 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by maxiet
What constitutes a side trip on an itinerary? I have a fare that says, "End on End not permitted. Side trips permitted."

Suppose I have a roundtrip fare JFK-NCE with a layover in CDG; can I add a roundtrip CDG-MUC in the middle of this? Thus, the outbound itinerary is JFK-CDG-MUC-CDG-NCE, and the inbound trip is NCE-CDG-JFK.

Is this correct? Am I missing anything?
Welcome to FlyerTalk

Yes, this is a side-trip.

Why do you want to do this? I cannot imagine that such a ticket would not be substantially more expensive than buying JFK-CDG-NCE-CDG-JFK and CDG-MUC-CDG separately.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Thanks!^

Originally Posted by C W
Why do you want to do this?
Mostly curiosity...I booked a flight with these fare rules, but I'm curious as to what possibilities I didn't take advantage of.

Originally Posted by C W
I cannot imagine that such a ticket would not be substantially more expensive than buying JFK-CDG-NCE-CDG-JFK and CDG-MUC-CDG separately.
If, fare rules permitting, the TATL flight and the side trip were operated by airlines with interlining agreements, then would the price be the same as buying them separately?

For example, if you fly AA on the TATL outbound and add a side trip on AB, would it be the same price as buying them separately (assuming fare rules allow for this kind of structure)?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:17 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by maxiet
If, fare rules permitting, the TATL flight and the side trip were operated by airlines with interlining agreements, then would the price be the same as buying them separately?

For example, if you fly AA on the TATL outbound and add a side trip on AB, would it be the same price as buying them separately (assuming fare rules allow for this kind of structure)?
Perhaps theoretically. There are a number of factors that would have to satisfied. The fare rules would have to allow it, which is uncommon for TATL. It would be slightly more common in the fare rules for expensive fare classes. Also, since many tickets force each leg into the fare class of the highest fare class leg you would likely have to find low-bucket availability across the board.

Another consideration to having everything on the same ticket is additional changing restrictions. You could be facing an international change fee to change the intra-EU segment, for example. Or if you missed an intra-EU segment you could have your return to the US canceled.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
Perhaps theoretically. There are a number of factors that would have to satisfied. The fare rules would have to allow it, which is uncommon for TATL. It would be slightly more common in the fare rules for expensive fare classes. Also, since many tickets force each leg into the fare class of the highest fare class leg you would likely have to find low-bucket availability across the board.

Another consideration to having everything on the same ticket is additional changing restrictions. You could be facing an international change fee to change the intra-EU segment, for example. Or if you missed an intra-EU segment you could have your return to the US canceled.
Got it, thanks!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.