Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Flights with extra stops + miles

Flights with extra stops + miles

Old Apr 12, 17, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
A flight going from A to C is a "non-stop".

Going from A to B then to C without changing planes is known as "direct".

B is an "intermediate stop".

Simple.
Actually, a "direct" flight can still have a change of aircraft (often involving a change of gauge), as long as all segments use the same flight number.
Old Apr 12, 17, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
A flight going from A to C is a "non-stop".

Going from A to B then to C without changing planes is known as "direct".

B is an "intermediate stop".

Simple.
I understand the concept of direct/indirect/non-stop, but my original question is if there is actually any special terminology given to a flight that goes A-B-C(-D)?

Your questions are quite simple but there seem to be a lot of confusing answers.

I would just call these flights "multi-stop flights".

Some of these flights are triangles (like TK561), some are just out and back (like NZ1 and NZ2).
Got it, thanks!

Suppose that on TK561, you get a single boarding pass for IST-ABJ and passengers for ABJ stay on board in COO. I don't know if this is true or not.
I flew the maiden IST-BOG-PTY last year to BOG, and the PTY passengers just stayed on board. Of course, I guess that will vary depending on the countries served, and from what I understand, TK has no cabotage rights between BOG-PTY and COO-ABJ.

Well...guess I'll see what happens eventually one day, maybe...thanks all!
Old Apr 12, 17, 11:57 am
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
I'm aware of the hidden city concept and how to go about it, but if one is on a flight like the ones mentioned above and gets off early, how would the airline realistically know if the boarding pass doesn't get scanned again?
I avoid direct flights like the plague, but I have seen flights where passengers are permitted to temporarily disembark at the intermediate stop. (In the old days, I recall getting a generic pass -- not directly tied to a specific passenger but handed to all thru-passengers who chose to disembark. If you did that and didn't reboard, you could potentially cause a delay for the plane as they try to reconcile their passenger numbers and locate the missing passenger in the airport.

Also, be aware of this when it involves international flights. In the case of countries that require airlines to submit passenger manifests, you could be in for some interesting conversations at Immigration if you arrive and the country isn't expecting you.
Old Apr 13, 17, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
Also, be aware of this when it involves international flights. In the case of countries that require airlines to submit passenger manifests, you could be in for some interesting conversations at Immigration if you arrive and the country isn't expecting you.
Yeah, that could be an interesting one actually...and I can imagine it would be particularly problematic in areas where bribes are fairly commonplace...!