Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice: MSP to ATH routing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Advice: MSP to ATH routing

Would appreciate some guidance for a one way ticket.

I am traveling from MSP to ATH and need to be in ATH on June 1. In looking at Google Flights, Icelandia has the cheapest fares, but the cheapest flights have 2 stops, which makes it a 17 hour trip. I am trying to find a different gateway city to Europe. It appears the best option is to buy a RT ticket to another city, then purchase a one way to Athens.

Would love to spend miles, if possible, but not mandatory. I have miles on AA and Chase UR. Would appreciate guidance from one of you routing experts.

TIA
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The obvious routing would be to fly nonstop to AMS or CDG on DL (or AF/KLM but the DL operated TATL flights from MSP use better aircraft) and then connect to ATH on AF/KLM. On the return, this has the advantage of going through customs and immigration at MSP, so no worries about processing delays causing missed connections.

Alternatively on DL, check whether there's a one stop connection through ATL or JFK for this year's summer season.

You have to decide yourself about the tradeoff between convenience and saving some money with a more convoluted routed.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:45 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
What is your return date and plans? Do you have a budget limit?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Two stops on an overnight routing is a killer. You are better off spending a bit more flying into a proper European hub and then getting a connecting flight to ATH. I've never heard of Icelandia...do you mean Icelandair?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:55 pm

I suggest DL/KL connecting in AMS. DL connection at JFK is possible but probably less desirable and also less desirable connection at CDG (matter of opinion). I am not sure what DL operates connecting in ATL.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CALlegacy
I suggest DL/KL connecting in AMS. DL connection at JFK is possible but probably less desirable and also less desirable connection at CDG (matter of opinion). I am not sure what DL operates connecting in ATL.
DL does not operate ATL-ATH non-stop. There's a seasonal DL JFK-ATH non-stop starting mid-April. It's goes to 2x daily in the summer. With a May 31 depature, OP could fly MSP-JFK-ATH with a 3hr layover in JFK and arrive in ATH at 10AM June 1 (total trip time -- 15hr 35m). Quickest trips would be to connect in AMS/CDG on KL/AF with a total trip time in the 13hr range. These flights arrive in ATH in the afternoon.

AA has a one-stop option through PHL with a 1hr 36m connection. Looks pretty ideal if mileage redemption is reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.