One way business LAX-HKG or close/cheap to HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star

I am looking for a one way business fare LAX - HKG in Feb 2017 but can't find anything under 2500 USD when I see that there are lots of Chinese carriers offering cheap business flights ex-USA

e.g.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...46-1788-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...na-1800-a.html

Any suggestions on carriers and routings?

At this point, the cheapest I have found is 800 USD for China Airlines premium economy LAX - TPE - HKG which is the backup plan.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
One way premium fare +/- about 30 days in advance is going to cost as the airlines price those for business travelers that aren't as price sensitive.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chichow
I am looking for a one way business fare LAX - HKG in Feb 2017 but can't find anything under 2500 USD when I see that there are lots of Chinese carriers offering cheap business flights ex-USA

e.g.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...46-1788-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...na-1800-a.html

Any suggestions on carriers and routings?

At this point, the cheapest I have found is 800 USD for China Airlines premium economy LAX - TPE - HKG which is the backup plan.
If you can find lowest-tier award available from LAX to HKG, investigate the cost of buying the necessary miles from, say, AA or UA, and redeeming for a one-way award on them or their partners.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
yeah that is the backup plan. good suggestion!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:48 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
With the current bonus offer (through the end of January) you can buy 72,500 AA miles for $1450 plus taxes and a $30 fee, so call it $1600 or a bit less. AA charges 65K miles for business one way on its own metal or 70K on Oneworld partner metal.

You'd need to phone AA to see space on CX metal as they don't show it on their website. Or join AsiaMiles and look for space there before phoning AA to book.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:44 pm

Or go with UA award. UA seems to have saver Business from LAX to HKG every day in February. 70K to 80K one way.

Use existing UA miles
Buy UA miles with 50% bonus ends today
Transfer Marriott Points to UA miles
Transfer SPG points to Marriott Points to UA miles
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:48 am
Original Poster

It was too much of a pain to work with AA after the record was notated.
I re - deposited the miles and took Korean Air across the pacific.

Thanks for the responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.