Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Under 18 can parents book a hotel room for me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Under 18 can parents book a hotel room for me?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
Can that family member check you in?
She isn't really a family member, but she is my age so I don't think it'll happen. But what legal documents will I need to show that my parents allowed and will have liability on me if anything was to happen?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Geriaah
She isn't really a family member, but she is my age so I don't think it'll happen. But what legal documents will I need to show that my parents allowed and will have liability on me if anything was to happen?
There are no legal document that would show that.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if some chain hotels do not work, there are always less expensive and or independent
and best westerns also count as independent, as their hotels are not franchises

when card required for damages, can ask how much cash they would accept instead

also, what about renting condo through local property manager ?
(either parents, or if there are any relatives living in local area)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
There isn't a standard waiver for a parent to sign. This is something you'd have to offer/negotiate with the hotel but it is something you can propose to see if they'd be willing to accept your stay.

You're visiting someone around your age that is close to your family. Is it possible this person has parents in the area that would get a room in their name, check-in for you and let you stay in it?

Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Exclamation UPDATE;

I'm still searching for answers, and if there are any bypasses for this because I've read on some other sites that there are ways around some hotels. But none are in the Greensboro area, *For example I want to try to get into a Best Western hotel* and I want to know if it's possible since it's not a franchise? I've looked at hotels with digital keys but you'll still have to check in upon receiving the key, or else I'm not sure how it works.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

best western is not a management/franchise company, unlike all other hotel companies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Western
Best Western used to call itself a cooperative membership association, and as such could be seen as a co-op. Around 1985, it abandoned the "cooperative" terminology after courts insisted on calling it a franchisor despite its nonprofit status.
emphasis on nonprofit

there are also independent hotels
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The answer is you have to talk to the hotels. Some workaround you find online won't necessarily apply to another area of hotels and could leave you hanging. Contact hotels with what you want. A stay between specific dates. Ability to have parent sign guarantee for you, ect and see if they will accept that.

I'm still searching for answers, and if there are any bypasses for this because I've read on some other sites that there are ways around some hotels. But none are in the Greensboro area, *For example I want to try to get into a Best Western hotel* and I want to know if it's possible since it's not a franchise? I've looked at hotels with digital keys but you'll still have to check in upon receiving the key, or else I'm not sure how it works.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
I think you have the answer - it's not what you want to hear - but it's the answer.

Sometimes hotels follow the rules and sometimes they don't. You might get lucky but there are no certainties if you are hoping they will inadvertently allow you to check in under age.

And in case it isn't clear why that is the rule, it is because, under the law, you are the same as a poodle. If I allow a poodle to book a room and the dog breaches our agreement - there is nothing I can do - because the law says that I am an idiot for renting a hotel room to a dog. A child (and when you are not yet an adult you are considered a child - it does not matter if you are 6 months or 16) cannot be held liable under a contract. So you are as liable for breach of contract as would be the pine tree in your front yard. That's why hotels don't rent to minors.

Add to the equation the fact that you want to rent a room around New Years eve and any hotel manager worth his salt should be on high alert.

So, that's why you call someone and explain your situation. Don't call a large corporate chain - they have rules and managers have little room to negotiate. But small independents where you can talk to someone who is actually in charge may be willing to consider it. You might also check AirBNB or Craigslist and look for somewhere near the university as they will be more accustomed to dealing with teenagers (albeit that can cut both ways).

But a hotel with a policy that they rent to unaccompanied minors is what we call a unicorn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.