Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which FF flyer program should I credit this United codeshare flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying economy LAX to HND on UA7983 and back on UA7982, both operated by ANA. I don't have status with United, so I'll only be earning about 2500 miles for this trip. However, I've read that if I credit to SQ's Krisflyer, I'll get the full distance miles on this trip which will be around 12,000 miles. Since these flights are UA codeshares on ANA metal, will I still get the distance flown miles? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What ffp's are you a member of now? One codeshare flight is not a reason to join a (new) ffp.
What fare booking class? http://www.wheretocredit.com/all-nippon-airways
With Star Alliance the operating carrier determines ff earning.

Flying a flight marked by one airline (flight number), operated by a second airline (codeshare) and crediting the frequent flyer miles to a third airlines ffp is always problematic. Usually only works if all three are in the same alliance (Oneworld - Star - Skyteam) or specific provision in the ff program rules. e.g AA miles or BA avios on QF marketed flight operated by EK.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What ffp's are you a member of now? One codeshare flight is not a reason to join a (new) ffp.
What fare booking class? http://www.wheretocredit.com/all-nippon-airways
With Star Alliance the operating carrier determines ff earning.

Flying a flight marked by one airline (flight number), operated by a second airline (codeshare) and crediting the frequent flyer miles to a third airlines ffp is always problematic. Usually only works if all three are in the same alliance (Oneworld - Star - Skyteam) or specific provision in the ff program rules. e.g AA miles or BA avios on QF marketed flight operated by EK.
I'm a member of United, Singapore Kris flyer, and EVA frequent flyer programs. The booking class is K class.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blindsboy21
I'm a member of United, Singapore Kris flyer, and EVA frequent flyer programs. The booking class is K class.
Flights on a codeshare's do not always map to the same fare class in the ffp.

3 ffp is one alliance is a lot. Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. FFP’s are for the long term. However at times it makes sense to have a ff membership with an airline in another alliance. (e.g. Oneworld & Star)
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:39 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
But what are your balances in each? What is your objective? If you mainly have UA miles and currently no SQ miles it's probably not worthwhile crediting to SQ just because it earns more unless you can reach a balance for a suitable redemption.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:35 am
Original Poster

My objective isn't for status. Just trying to maximize my mileage return on the flights. I do have quite a substantial amount of UA and EVA miles. However, since UA went revenue based, I've started to diversify into SQ and EVA. Currently, I only have a small balance of SQ miles from flying United. I have Ultimate rewards, and Citi TYPs where I can top off my balance to SQ Krisflyer for award redemptions.

Thanks to Mwenenzi for the link. I didn't see a K class on the ANA chart. Does that mean that I won't earn any miles for crediting to SQ?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My objective isn't for status. Just trying to maximize my mileage return on the flights. I do have quite a substantial amount of UA and EVA miles. However, since UA went revenue based, I've started to diversify into SQ and EVA. Currently, I only have a small balance of SQ miles from flying United. I have Ultimate rewards, and Citi TYPs where I can top off my balance to SQ Krisflyer for award redemptions.
The grass in not always greener on the other side

Frequent flyer miles are not equal to earn or burn. 10,000 miles in 1 ffp may get you a longer award flight than 15,000 ff miles in another ffp. And then there is award cash surcharges. Have you looked at the UA, SQ & Eva award charts?

Awards assistance tools (use at your own risk. May not be up to date. These are not recommendations)
- AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Seconds -->http://www.awardace.com/
- Economical Excursionist's Tools to compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions --> http://www.flyermiler.com/
- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ast-miles.html --> http://www.awardhacker.com/

SQ miles have a hard expiry. Use them or loose them
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html

Thanks to Mwenenzi for the link. I didn't see a K class on the ANA chart. Does that mean that I won't earn any miles for crediting to SQ?
If its not listed nil miles. But far better to check the ANA site. And try to find out what ANA K maps to in other ffp's for earning. It may be K or may not be.

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit card ff mile earning/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s). But if you are not flying the airline of your ffp the useful benefits are somewhat limited.

Again: -The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: SQ *G, MP
K class operated by ANA will not gain any miles on SQ. If you have ANA FFP it will gain 30% of miles actually flown. Star Alliance is based on operating company not the ticketing one. If you are flying UA metal you will gain 100% mileage no matter what class of Y your are on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.