Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best resource for family/Leisure trips

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Best resource for family/Leisure trips

I have been looking for a place for one stop advise and tips for family leisure trips (yearly family holiday stuff). I have been on here for a few months and its seems like at lot is geared towards single business travelers who use work accounts for paid J fares. After they accumulate for miles/points from work, they use it for luxury trips in F for special occasions like anniversaries, birthdays etc.

My favorite section is the trip report section. However I would like to see more TRs on family vacations showing what type of planning they used. What credit card, FFP, hotel program and Why? I have seen flak from others saying Flyertalk is not a travel agency and people should do their own homework.

If someone talks about J or F, suite upgrades and credit card bonuses, I would like them to pass on the knowledge even if it doesn't apply 100%
Old May 13, 2016, 9:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Sounds like you'd like to see a family travel planning forum. You could ask the Talk Board for that and see if there's any support. In the meantime, it seems that quite a number of blogs cover that territory.
https://www.flipkey.com/blog/2015/09...low-this-year/
Old May 13, 2016, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
You might also want to look at Fodors Travel Forums

http://www.fodors.com

They have lots of forums based on geographical location that are always busy and have good advice IMHO for the kinds of trips you're discussing.

Last edited by squeakr; May 14, 2016 at 1:55 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 14, 2016, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also the Traveling with Children forum here on FT, but it might not cover many of the kinds of issues (good deals, award programs) you're seeking.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:03 pm

I hear what you are saying. There are alot of people on this board that do a large amount of travel for work which in turn earns them alot of points both for airlines and hotels.

Unfortunately, for those that are only doing 1-3 trips a year having a blog wouldn't make a whole lot of sense as there wouldn't be a whole lot to talk about.

Adding a family/leisure area on these boards would be a good idea.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ladyjaneMN
I think that would muddle things up a lot. If you are interested in leisure travel the Destinations forum is usually a good place to start, and you may duck into the Travelling with Children if that is relevant. As far as maximising points, getting cheap flights, getting premium cabin availability, etc, the existing airline forums are agnostic as to whether you are a business or leisure traveller (and believe me, there is a lot of leisure going on there).
Old May 18, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ladyjaneMN
I hear what you are saying. There are alot of people on this board that do a large amount of travel for work which in turn earns them alot of points both for airlines and hotels.

Unfortunately, for those that are only doing 1-3 trips a year having a blog wouldn't make a whole lot of sense as there wouldn't be a whole lot to talk about.

I'm not sure what a "leisure" area would look like. I've been an active participant on this forum for many years now, and only rarely travel for business.
It seems a lot of folks want individual forums that cater to the exact precise information they want, but balkanizing this site doesn't help anyone. If you're interested in learning about traveling with kids, there's a forum for that. Questions about traveling to specific regions? There are destination forums, in addition to the trip reports.

There are a number of other websites that cater to niches. Take a look at http://redtri.com/top-family-travel-blogs/ , http://havebabywilltravel.com/links-...sources-blogs/

I don't think this site caters to business travelers; it does not cater to people who are inexperienced travelers, or are looking for quick answers how to plan their yearly vacation for free. Sorry.

Last edited by Adam1222; May 18, 2016 at 7:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.