Wiki Posts
Search

Moving from L.A. to Detroit area

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP 1K, AA Gold, Marriott PlatElite
Question Moving from L.A. to Detroit area

Hi, I'm moving from LA to Detroit in the next 2 weeks and was wondering what people thought of which mileage program to stick with. I've been with UA for a few years and do like their service, flight options from LAX, etc compared to AA and DL. But DTW is very limited on UA and from my few flights connecting through ORD, it is getting to be a tougher and tougher trip. DL I know has more options from DTW, but was hoping to stay with UA.

I fly mostly US domestic but I'll be flying to the west coast quite a bit. Any thoughts??
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
If you value direct flights and getting where you're going as quickly as possible, DL is going to be the better choice. It's why even though I like DL, I rarely fly them out of ORD.

I think the general consensus on loyalty programs is that UA's is probably better.

My company has contracts with UA and DL. If I moved to Detroit, I'd definitely switch to DL, but that's me.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
DL has the most nonstop destinations from DTW by a lot. If that matters most, then switch.

However, if you are fine with connecting, you will be okay by sticking with UA due to ORD being a short flight away. There are 6 daily flights each way, which means connection times should usually be good (there are also 6 daily flights to EWR for east coast connections). You should be able to fly pretty much anywhere on the west coast one stop through ORD or DEN (which has 2 daily flights). Also wouldn't be surprised if SFO-DTW starts up soon. The general consensus also says that UA has a better loyalty program. And if worse comes to worse and you are flying somewhere which will take two stops on UA, then flying DL for a trip every once in a while will be fine.

I personally know people who fly on airlines which do not operate a hub out of their home airport when their airport has an airline with a hub. I know people who fly DL out of EWR, UA out of CVG, AA out of MSP, DL out of MIA, just to name a few. They are all perfectly fine with having one-stop flights over nonstops, and are fine with occasionally flying the hub carrier if their own carrier doesn't have an itinerary with one stop (which is rare for domestic travel).

If you prefer to remain with UA and are fine with taking a one-stop flight over a nonstop, then stick with UA. If worse comes to worse and you eventually want to switch, that can be done in the future.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before making a decision, in addition to looking at UA schedules between DTW and ORD, check the aircraft types used and their onetime performance. This will give you a better sense of the realities of always doing ORD connections.

The DL part of DTW is a very nice airport with good lounges and generally pleasant gate areas and possibilities for airport F&B as well as more general shopping for last minute items. DL serves lots of destinations from DTW nonstop, generally with nice aircraft (clean, wifi AVOD, etc.) and excellent reliability. Most employees are actually nice to customers. Try it, you might like DL.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:32 am

I wouldn't move to Detroit, as I understand the city is generally abandoned.

Stockton might be a better choice.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile, AAdvantage
You live in Yellowknife...
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I wouldn't move to Detroit, as I understand the city is generally abandoned.

Stockton might be a better choice.
Detroit has improved exponentially over the past few years. As a Detroit native, I am very sensitive to comments like this from those who have no intimate knowledge of our city. Yes there are issues as in any city, but the city has made and continues to make great strides.
Delta is king here.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I have a good friend in Ann Arbor that I usually meet up with around the country. Because of the stranglehold Delta has on DTW, he usually pays more to fly coach to cities on the east coast than I do paying for F (-UP fares usually) on UA to same places out of LAX. Delta really abuses the locals in DTW -- I imagine UA does same to locals in fortress IAH and EWR.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The problem with United FF program is that if you're starting or going to an outstation, Saver availability on flights that get you to a hub can be kind of to extremely limited, and make an entire award ticket price to standard. Would do a six month check of routes out of DTW you'd commonly use to get a feel for how well you'd do for flights you'd actually want to redeem for. (Example- Sample search of DTW-LAX for a 5 day coach trip in July, and it's far easier to find a Delta 31K or less award ticket than a 25K United ticket for that route, though granted I'm not searching with status on United's site)

The McNamara Sky Team terminal is a very pleasant place with much improved food & bev in recent years.

Delta makes their fair share of mistakes as any airline does, but they are actually usually quite good at fixing them and a good GA (of which there are many) will really go the extra mile for you in IRROPS situations.

Last edited by beachmouse; May 2, 2016 at 9:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.