Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Wife mysteriously has TSA-pre check? How can this happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:26 am
Original Poster

She has no idea how it happened but pre-check showed up on some of our tickets. She didn't have this on the last flight we were on.

The flight was international and booked under my name and I didn't get pre-checked. Anyone know what might have happened?

(Unsure if it's a new perk, but she recently got the Chase ink card, but so did I)
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Random luck, enjoy.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Does that ever happen? Any way for me to check how long she has it for?

Also if it helps, she's not from the US (green card). She's traveled internationally quite a few times before
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by DreamingOfPoints
Does that ever happen? Any way for me to check how long she has it for?

Also if it helps, she's not from the US (green card). She's traveled internationally quite a few times before
Do you have precheck? If so, this is normal. I have precheck, but my GF does not. Sometimes she gets it and I don't, sometimes both of us get it and sometimes neither of us get it.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bigbuy
Do you have precheck? If so, this is normal. I have precheck, but my GF does not. Sometimes she gets it and I don't, sometimes both of us get it and sometimes neither of us get it.
TSA randomly hands out Pre Check. It may or may not happen again. I think it's a marketing ploy. You'll like it so much you'll sign up for it.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:13 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

My son just got random Pre-Check for one of eight segments of his itinerary. It happens randomly I guess.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!! This matter has now been explained well.

One more question, the booked flight was a round trip. Based on history, will she get pre-check on the way back? We have a lengthy layover in SFO and it'll be nice to leave the airport and explore a little bit, knowing that the security lines will be somewhat shorter when we come back
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
No one knows if you'll get it on your return, thus the reason it is called random

Last edited by mike2200; Mar 26, 2016 at 12:53 pm
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta, AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold
My wife got it last summer when we went on our honeymoon. I have it so I just assumed since we were traveling together they gave it to her.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Completely random. My husband has gotten in sometimes and my son sometimes. My son got it on UA and he hadn't flown them in a year and he only got it on one leg of a RT.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
The only way to get precheck constantly is to belong to the precheck program or global entry, nexus. That is all. This involves a background check and interview with TSA. The main reason why some people get precheck randomly is to promote/market it to other travelers and give them a taste of it.

Just imagine a couple traveling together, one gets it, the other doesn't, one breeze through security line, no need to take off shoes, remove belt, electronics, 3-1-1 bag (toiletries), etc, while the other has to do the whole thing. After a while, they get the idea it is good and decide to enroll in the program. Great marketing, give them a taste in order to enroll them.

My biggest complaint of the random prechecks is that it slows down the process. They do all of the opposite, take the shoes off, belts, electronics, etc, without paying attention to the numerous signs indicating the procedure, or listening to the TSA agents indicating what to do. They also tend to travel with a non precheck person and are in the same line, when they get to the agent, nonprecheck can not go through, they plead their case and end up splitting or going to the nonprecheck line. Seriously, push them to the back of the line.

Last edited by arollins; Mar 26, 2016 at 9:39 am
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by arollins
The only way to get precheck constantly is to belong to the precheck program or global entry, nexus. That is all. This involves a background check and interview with TSA. The main reason why some people get precheck randomly is to promote/market it to other travelers and give them a taste of it.

Just imagine a couple traveling together, one gets it, the other doesn't, one breeze through security line, no need to take off shoes, remove belt, electronics, 3-1-1 bag (toiletries), etc, while the other has to do the whole thing. After a while, they get the idea it is good and decide to enroll in the program. Great marketing, give them a taste in order to enroll them.

My biggest complaint of the random prechecks is that it slows down the process. They do all of the opposite, take the shoes off, belts, electronics, etc, without paying attention to the numerous signs indicating the procedure, or listening to the TSA agents indicating what to do. They also tend to travel with a non precheck person and are in the same line, when they get to the agent, nonprecheck can not go through, they plead their case and end up splitting or going to the nonprecheck line. Seriously, push them to the back of the line.

BINGO!
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by arollins

Not always true that a traveling partner without pre check can't go through with their partner who has pre check, at LHR you are allowed to stay with your pre check partner

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.