Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Seats API/Data?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Question Award Seats API/Data?

This may be an odd question, but I'm looking for an award seats API or data for purchase for a project I'm thinking of starting. I've looked around at a lot of websites that offer award seat assistance, but they don't say where they're getting their data, and they don't offer their data for purchase.

In my imagined project, I wouldn't need the account or login information of potential users, but I would need to know what award seats are available on which flights. Who offers that data?

Thanks for the help!

Hannah
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
http://www.expertflyer.com/ is one common tool used here. There is a $99.99 annual fee.

KVS tool is another. I am less familiar with this tool.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
API = Advance Passenger Information...you want to buy this?

All websites that offer fare inventory information for purchase, including the big GDS platforms, get their data from the airlines in question.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
API = Advance Passenger Information...you want to buy this?

All websites that offer fare inventory information for purchase, including the big GDS platforms, get their data from the airlines in question.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applic...ming_interface

i think theyre wondering if GDS/etc resell
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applic...ming_interface

i think theyre wondering if GDS/etc resell
Ah.

Have a look at this thread OP:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ew-thread.html

Data comes from the airlines who don't permit the sort of sweeping that KVS does. I believe ExpertFlyer pays for it, which is why it charges you. Or you can buy yourself access to a GDS, but that's not cheap.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or you can buy yourself access to a GDS, but that's not cheap.
indeed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global...ibution_System

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 25, 2016 at 7:07 am
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks! And yes, you're right, Kagehitokiri, I was thinking about APIs in terms of "application program interface" -- really, the ability to import into one program some of the data and functionality of another program. For instance, if you ever see a website with a Twitter feed on it, that's built through an API.

I was hoping someone was feeding companies like ExpertFlyer and KVS the airline data they use through an API that I just wasn't finding, but from your posts, it appear that that's probably not the case. I guess I'll write ExpertFlyer and ask how much it would be to just purchase the award seat data, though I'm sure you're right that it will be expensive. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to them!

Thanks,
Hannah
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:09 am
Suspended

If you read the KVS wiki thread you'll have noticed that application doesn't pay anyone for the GDS data. KVS asks for donations from users in exchange for which they get access to fare inventory data from the airlines. How does KVS get the data? Well, from a variety of sources. It has created dummy accounts with various travel service providers from which it sweeps GDS data, and it asks you to enter your own FF account information so that it can question that airline/alliance search form to scrape that data. Every so often it goes down for a while because an airline or travel service provider has noticed hundreds of thousand of requests through its system. KVS then finds a new one.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Hi LondonElite -- I did take a look at the KVS thread. While I admire their creativity and tenacity, I think I'm looking for a steadier data source, and one that doesn't require the user's frequent flyer information. Thanks for the thought, though!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

I don't have time to look into it thoroughly just at the moment, but I think I might have solved my problem: Sabre REST APIs. Just thought I'd post here in case anyone else is looking for the same thing. Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hannahcat
I don't have time to look into it thoroughly just at the moment, but I think I might have solved my problem: Sabre REST APIs. Just thought I'd post here in case anyone else is looking for the same thing. Thanks!
so at least some GDS do resell

can do award flights? for what cost?

two other GDS >
- https://developer.travelport.com/app...k/classic-apis
- "Amadeus Web Services is an Application Programming Interface (API)"
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by hannahcat
I'm working on a Python wrapper for Sabre Dev Studio's APIs if you're interested, though it's still very much a work in progress.

It seems like most of the interesting data is in the SOAP APIs, which I haven't tested out yet. Apparently to use them you need to obtain additional credentials from Sabre….so you can't just create a client ID/secret pair like you can with the REST APIs.

As far as I know, the REST APIs don't allow you to query seat availability directly, it just provides an interface to various tools like searching through the cache of recently searched flights, etc.

If you want any more info or help with the REST APIs, send me a PM, I've been playing around with them for a couple months now

Last edited by JamilD; Mar 25, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you read the KVS wiki thread you'll have noticed that application doesn't pay anyone for the GDS data. KVS asks for donations from users in exchange for which they get access to fare inventory data from the airlines. How does KVS get the data? Well, from a variety of sources. It has created dummy accounts with various travel service providers from which it sweeps GDS data, and it asks you to enter your own FF account information so that it can question that airline/alliance search form to scrape that data. Every so often it goes down for a while because an airline or travel service provider has noticed hundreds of thousand of requests through its system. KVS then finds a new one.
Though KVS may call their fees "donations" they are fees. Donations are generally suggested contributions, mostly to not for profit endeavors. KVS is certainly for profit, and they "data scrape" airline and other travel provider websites, as you say - often in contravention of airline copyrights and terms of use.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Sorry to open up such an old thread - but does anybody here have experience in working on APIs that handle reward flight availability?

I've looked at Sabre, and have also contacted 30K, but it would be great to connect with somebody who has first hand experience
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by planepoints
Sorry to open up such an old thread - but does anybody here have experience in working on APIs that handle reward flight availability?

I've looked at Sabre, and have also contacted 30K, but it would be great to connect with somebody who has first hand experience

Hi @planepoints, I happen to be looking for the same thing!. I am looking for an API capable of handling reward flight and hotel availability and price using miles and CC's points. We should connect and compare our findings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.