Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Do seats in first class recline? On what airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAE Gold, Qatar Premium, CX Gold, Emirates, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle

I am curious as to which airline still has seats in first class that recline or am I making a wrong assumption.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by midorosan
I am curious as to which airline still has seats in first class that recline or am I making a wrong assumption.
For domestic First, all of them, except the planes configured with lie-flats or similar for premium transcon routes.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Yes, you're making an incorrect assumption. They all recline. But the recline is limited in domestic first class (except the JFK-SFO/LAX routes) compared to international first and business classes.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
For domestic First, all of them, except the planes configured with lie-flats or similar for premium transcon routes.
How would it be possible for a lie-flat seat not to recline?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
All first class seats recline. Some more than others. Now, in other news...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by JerryFF
How would it be possible for a lie-flat seat not to recline?
In the context of the OP, which was talking about how the trophy was a great pax to have in front of him, since it didn't recline. A lie flat reclines, but doing so doesn't affect the seat behind it. A standard domestic first seat also reclines, somewhat impinging on the person seated behind it.

ETA: Just saw that this discussion was moved over from a UA thread about celebrity passengers, so the context was lost. The OP of that thread noted that the America's Cup was on a flight with him, in first, and was a great "passenger" to have in front of him, since the trophy didn't want to recline its seat.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All first class recline to some degree if you know how to recline them. (And, of course, if the recline button isn't broken !)

Domestic first class seats on some AA planes, for example, are "articulated", meaning they don't recline into the person behind you, the seat bottom moves forward as you recline so it's your space, instead of someone else's space, that shrinks. On these seats, if you push the button and push against the back of the seat, nothing happens; you have to push the button and push yourself forward (to pull the seat bottom forward) and then it reclines the back. (I've been on planes where people near me didn't know this and thought the seat didn't recline at all until it was explained to them.)

Btw, there are also planes, on multiple airlines, with similarly "articulated" seats in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.