Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

What happens when your flight is cancelled in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Poster

I have a flight on Air China in March. They've cancelled the flight and protected me on the next day's flight.

This seems to everyone on the forum to be reasonable (I had wanted a reroute on another carrier or a night's accommodation at Air China's expense).

My question is - what is unreasonable? Weekly flights rebooked to the next week? Next month?

I know that I can get a refund, which people seem to think is a reasonable resolution, but of course to rebook closer to the departure date is significantly more expensive.

I had naively assumed that I could be rerouted in this event, but it seems not. I am *A Gold travelling in Y, but it seems they are offering the same resolution to C class customers.

This isn't specific to Air China, hence being posted in this forum.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:56 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
It really depends on the country/region.

For example EU261 applies to any EU carriers and all EU departures which provides specific protection. In other countries/regions there may not be the same legal protection and so the carriers policies may apply.

I know several people who have had their flight cancelled even on the day and either just refunded or rebooked several days later in Asia.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This far in advance it is entirely reasonable. You can fly the day before or the day after, or you can get a refund if this doesn't suit you at all, but with so much notice a hotel room does not seem to be warranted. I agree a flight on another carrier would be nice, particularly as it's likely to be better than Air China, but it doesn't need to be that way. At the risk of stating the obvious, have you checked your travel insurance policy regarding a hotel room or other resolution?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR*G
I have a flight on Air China in March. They've cancelled the flight and protected me on the next day's flight.
Is this a one way flight or the first or second segment of a return?
March is a long time in the future, so rebooking a day before/after is all you are likely to get. This is not unreasonable for a flight in 4 months time. You can ask for a full refund.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where/how did you buy the ticket? Directly from Air China? That can make a difference in how to proceed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.