Search

LAX-Europe award strategy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold

Hey all -

I haven't been booking many family trips with miles lately (too much work trael), and clearly the memories of easy LAX-Europe premium awards in 2010 are long gone. As I'm a bit rusty here, I was wondering what availability trends you are seeing. I'm doing some searching 330 days out, and needless to say, it's incredibly stingy.

I'm going to be in Paris for a month next fall and I want to bring the family (me + wife + son + infant daughter = 3 seats + lap infant ). I will have a flight budget (usually $3500 is the norm here) that I could apply to fuel surcharges for the family (company is flexible like that). Obviously I would prefer to not pay fuel surcharges (like all of us), but it's not out of the question.

Luckily I have a nice assortment of miles (800k AA; 800k Chase UR; 400k SPG).

My best case scenarios would be (in order):
- LAX-CDG J3
- LAX-XXX-CDG J3 (JFK would be OK since my parents are there, we could stay a day or two)

This is October so not peak season, hopefully that helps.

Any initial thoughts? I know I could do LAX-FRA-CDG with Miles & More pretty easily, but those fuel surcharges are rough.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: US Airways
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31
Hey all -

I haven't been booking many family trips with miles lately (too much work trael), and clearly the memories of easy LAX-Europe premium awards in 2010 are long gone. As I'm a bit rusty here, I was wondering what availability trends you are seeing. I'm doing some searching 330 days out, and needless to say, it's incredibly stingy.

I'm going to be in Paris for a month next fall and I want to bring the family (me + wife + son + infant daughter = 3 seats + lap infant ). I will have a flight budget (usually $3500 is the norm here) that I could apply to fuel surcharges for the family (company is flexible like that). Obviously I would prefer to not pay fuel surcharges (like all of us), but it's not out of the question.

- LAX-CDG J3
- LAX-XXX-CDG J3 (JFK would be OK since my parents are there, we could stay a day or two)

Any initial thoughts? I know I could do LAX-FRA-CDG with Miles & More pretty easily, but those fuel surcharges are rough.

Thanks in advance
Dont forget DUS routes and Aer Lingus
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasoninaz
Dont forget DUS routes and Aer Lingus
Thanks for the ideas.

Aer Lingus doesn't fly LAX-DUB, and I really think 2 stops with little kids is a suicide mission.

The Air Berlin LAX-DUS route (which I've done a couple of times) is seasonal, though it may be running for the outbound leg. I'm not seeing AB availability like I used to, though.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Hey all -

- LAX-CDG J3

Thanks in advance
There are no fuel charges on award flights using AA miles if the flights are operated by AA itself or AB; there are moderate surcharges on IB flights, and very hefty (prohibitive) ones on BA. Award availability on AA, AB and BA can be booked online at www.aa.com, but booking award flights on IB requires a phone call to AA.

AA no longer permits a stopover on award travel.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat

Based in our past experiences you're a bit early for many award flights.

A very good option for LA-CDG is Air Tahiti Nui using AA miles. But you need to call AA to check availability and book thru them. UA usually has pretty decent availability LA to CDG either via SFO, ORD or IAH.

Keep in mind one way award booking is also a god option given you award options. Our last trip to CDG we used UA awards out and Air Tahiti/AA return, primarily due to their schedules.

Good luck.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:36 pm

Turkish with Star Alliance. That will only be one stop
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Turkish with Star Alliance. That will only be one stop
Interesting suggestion. I've always avoided it since the connection times to the rest of Europe tend to be horrid. How kid-friendly is transiting in Istabul?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:14 pm

Also, forgot to add Air Canada. Decent outbound connection via Montreal. Not sure about returns via Montreal or Toronto. Star Alliance member.

Originally Posted by jacknyoc

A very good option for LA-CDG is Air Tahiti Nui using AA miles. But you need to call AA to check availability and book thru them. UA usually has pretty decent availability LA to CDG either via SFO, ORD or IAH.

Keep in mind one way award booking is also a god option given you award options. Our last trip to CDG we used UA awards out and Air Tahiti/AA return, primarily due to their schedules.

Good luck.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Good luck.
I've always avoided Tahiti Nui based on the lackluster business class. What was your experience?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, forgot to add Air Canada. Decent outbound connection via Montreal. Not sure about returns via Montreal or Toronto. Star Alliance member.
Air Canada business class availability may be easy to find (by comparison) for a reason: I have never been in such an uncomfortable business class seat in my life (a painful hard bump in the middle when it folded out theoretically "flat"). I thus would only want to fly Air Canada in a direction where I won't need to sleep (generally westbound from Europe, which is how I did fly it, and I only "tested" the lie-flat seats, but fortunately did not actually need to try to sleep in one).

But obviously you have to connect in Canada to fly Air Canada, and the OP would prefer a nonstop LAX-Europe.

LH often has business class nonstops LAX-FRA only available about 1 or 2 days out (dunno if they had it also 330 days out). So to get LH you may need to book someone else Star Alliance as a connection (I had booked Air Canada) and then see if you can change to the LH nonstop instantly the moment it opens up. But whether it will open 3 seats for the OP, that I'm less sure of. (I tend to fly solo and that makes grabbing elusive award inventory somewhat easier.)
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:30 pm

LAX - DUB, Ethiopian

Ethiopian, * Alliance member. Currently 3X LAX - DUB. 5th Freedom Route

Last edited by Beans Morroco; Sep 8, 2015 at 8:40 pm Reason: Additional Info
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:00 am

We were fine with them. The service and cabin crew were all great. Seating was fine. I have to admit we're pretty flexible and don't tend to have the same high standards or requirements for seats that many on this site have.

I've always avoided Tahiti Nui based on the lackluster business class. What was your experience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.