Reload this Page >

Airline changed my award ticket schedule

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline changed my award ticket schedule

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:07 pm

You could cite, if it exists, legal precedent saying that US-DOT regulations do not apply to a flight segment that starts and ends outside the US, regardless of whether the ticket containing that segment was issued by a US carrier.

You could also cite, if it exists, legal precedent saying that each flight segment within a ticket is judged separately as to US-DOT jurisdiction.

I suspect you can do neither. But surprise me.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I strongly suspect that the DOT regulations will not be applicable in this circumstance. By extension of the contrary logic, nearly every flight worldwide could be subject to the consumer protection offered under this.

But aside from the mental self-gratification of this, the practical application of the debate is pretty close to nil in this case; the thought that the OP will apply to the DOT to force some ticketing change on a CX-operated flight acquired with AA miles on a flight wholly outside the US, justified by an extended layover, is laughable.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Sabasi
You could cite, if it exists, legal precedent saying that US-DOT regulations do not apply to a flight segment that starts and ends outside the US, regardless of whether the ticket containing that segment was issued by a US carrier.

You could also cite, if it exists, legal precedent saying that each flight segment within a ticket is judged separately as to US-DOT jurisdiction.

I suspect you can do neither. But surprise me.
There is no private right of action to enforce the relatively new DOT regulations, so thus there would be no "legal precedent."

Moreover, my point was that Cathay, the nonticketing carrier, has no obligation here. You have not cited to any regulation or "legal precedent" that supports the proposition that a Cathay has an obligation to create award availability after a schedule change on a ticket issued by American Airlines.

Again, the burden is on the person that says a regulation applies to at least point to the regulation rather than forcing me to explain that you don't understand how the American regulatory system works or prove the nonexistence of the imaginary rule you have created.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
...the thought that the OP will apply to the DOT to force some ticketing change on a CX-operated flight acquired with AA miles on a flight wholly outside the US, justified by an extended layover, is laughable.
I did just this this and was successful. I suggest the OP do the same.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by flyergal37
Yeah, I'm sure I could cancel the flight, but we don't want to do that. I will keep checking for Cathay award availability on earlier flights from HKG to BKK and I'm hopeful something will open up.
Don't stress, and I know it's easy for me to say that. As others have mentioned, CX will almost certainly open award seats closer in. If not, I'd be surprised if a different OW carrier didn't.

I know it doesn't feel right, but unfortunately, those are the rules.

Mike
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Moreover, my point was that Cathay, the nonticketing carrier, has no obligation here. You have not cited to any regulation or "legal precedent" that supports the proposition that a Cathay has an obligation to create award availability after a schedule change on a ticket issued by American Airlines.

Again, the burden is on the person that says a regulation applies to at least point to the regulation rather than forcing me to explain that you don't understand how the American regulatory system works or prove the nonexistence of the imaginary rule you have created.
I said no such thing and created no regulation, imaginary or otherwise. I addressed solely your wholly unsubstantiated claim that US-DOT regulations (whatever they are and regardless of their breadth) never apply to a flight segment that begins and ends outside of the US. Surely you can point to a court opinion to support your clsim or US-DOT guidance or regulatory definitions that leave no room to doubt what you say.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Sabasi
Originally Posted by Adam1222

I said no such thing and created no regulation, imaginary or otherwise. I addressed solely your wholly unsubstantiated claim that US-DOT regulations (whatever they are and regardless of their breadth) never apply to a flight segment that begins and ends outside of the US. Surely you can point to a court opinion to support your clsim or US-DOT guidance or regulatory definitions that leave no room to doubt what you say.
I've pointed to several regulatory provisions and explained why there is no court opinion. I'm sorry that is insufficient to satisfy your appetite for continuing to argue. Good luck to you.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thread is closed pending moderator review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.