Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Does Southwest require passport for domestic travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Southwest require passport for domestic travel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:31 am

I presented my state issued CHL once. It looks just like a DL. It's tied to my DL and you can't even get a CHL without a DL (at least in this state) but it was rejected as a valid I.D. No big deal. I wasn't trying to prove or test anything. Just pulled out the wrong card. Still.... It's a government issued ID.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by sam250240
Thanks guys for the answers, I think I'll be fine with a driver's license. I'm traveling from BOS to SFO.
On Southwest? Oh dear, that's the first thing I've heard that's made me worry. Spend some time here, we'll have you flying in 2-C on a nonstop in no time.

Originally Posted by Efrem
No need to say "I think" here. I never carry a passport on domestic trips. My driver's license is always sufficient, including this specific route many times.

(My wife was once cleared in the reverse direction, at SFO heading for BOS, using her YMCA membership card. She pulled it out by mistake, as it was next to her DL, and didn't realize it until she was putting it back into her wallet. We have no idea if the agent knew what it was and figured it was good enough, or just didn't notice.)
Please, oh please, tell me she was dressed as a construction worker at the time.

Mike
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The state of call issues a Senior Identification Card, often in lieu of a driver's license; it is acceptable for flying interstate.

But to emphasize the fact against some presumably jocular posts here, a passport is never necessary when traveling interstate, including Alaska and Hawaii.

Whilst I find jocularity appropriate nearly anywhere, I try not to use too much addressing new posters or TSA employees, because I have no way of knowing how they might take it.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Please, oh please, tell me she was dressed as a construction worker at the time.

Mike
I'm envisioning a war bonnet!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And this is not specific to Southwest! It applies to every airline. If flying any airline totally within the US and/or its territories (for example, Puerto Rico), you do not require a passport.

Whether you require a passport has to do with whether you're leaving or entering the country. It has nothing to do with what airline you're flying.
Actually, Puerto Rico seems to be easier if you show your USA passport, but it probably wouldn't be worthwhile to get a passport just to travel there.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If OP is flying to/from New Mexico, a passport is needed just in case an airline agent doesn't know than NM is one of the fifty states. District of Columbia is similarly risky, because some people think it's a region of South America.
And remember that DC is NOT one of the 50 states. (But the district doesn't even have its own airport inside its boundaries. Unless you're POTUS, there's no way to fly into DC from any state.)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If OP is flying to/from New Mexico, a passport is needed just in case an airline agent doesn't know than NM is one of the fifty states. District of Columbia is similarly risky, because some people think it's a region of South America.
Whew, good thing there are no public carrier airports in D.C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.