Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Two trips India - Which airline to choose?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

My colleague will be flying from SFO to HYD twice, this Oct and again in Nov. Very likely in cheapest economy fare, may be premium economy. He has miles with AA and UA (though no status), so he wants to earn either one of those two.

Any suggestion on which airline to pick? Cathay Pacific, United, Singapore, Lufthansa, Turkish...? He is interested in earning the most miles, may be attain status.

Thanks

Last edited by sktnyc; Aug 14, 2015 at 10:20 am
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Has your colleague flown at least four segments on AA this year? If not, he would have to incorporate at least four AA segments on his upcoming trips to qualify for elite status in AAdvantage.

Flying via the Atlantic on BA metal would earn more miles than flying via the Pacific on CX, but I do not know anything about either carrier's Premium Economy product.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Call AA and pay for the Platinum / Gold challenge if your flights are happening within 90 days of each other.

Then flying AA/BA (on qualifying fare classes) and credit to AA and you potentially can end up with AA Plat / Gold
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Duke787
Call AA and pay for the Platinum / Gold challenge if your flights are happening within 90 days of each other.

Then flying AA/BA (on qualifying fare classes) and credit to AA and you potentially can end up with AA Plat / Gold
I would want to know how many EQMs (if any) the OP's colleague has already earned in 2015, before recommending a challenge. Depending on the answer, he might end up with Gold after the first India trip, and Platinum after the second India trip, even without a challenge.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
SFO-LHR-HYD one way is over 10,000 miles; in a discounted Economy class (not deep discount) at one EQ Point per mile, would grant Platinum / one world Sapphire on the outbound, with all perquisites (including 100% bonus redeemable miles) for ensuing flights; if in BA Premium Economy, any WT+ fare, earning 1.5 Points per mile, even easier for a challenge. This option would gain status through the end of February 2017 and many more miles (status and class of service bonus redeemable miles).

Add the right credit card, perhaps 50,000 or more bonus miles.

The challenge earned status doesn't require four segments on AA this year; it does allow BA flights.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html. The wiki has a summary of applicable information.

BA World Traveller Plus (premium economy) is definitely a significant cut above World Traveller, (economy) very noticeable on lengthy trips like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 14, 2015 at 9:05 am
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
I think I'm the only one who ever posts here that's in favor of Air India, but I do like them and their prices for business are low. They are Star Alliances, so it doesn't hurt to check their rates.

I also love Turkish and fly them whenever possible and their prices are usually fairly reasonable. They're also Star Alliance.

As far as max miles, I don't know and others here probably have better ideas, but the best way to obtain the most miles is to stick with a single alliance. Look at any other flights he might have in the next year and base your decision on prices, but more importantly - does the airline/alliance in question go to ALL of his destinations next year?

There is no point earning 10-20% more miles on a trip to India if he has to jump around for future trips and scatter his hard-earned miles everywhere.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are the real budget constraints? There can be a big difference between fares for the Premium Economy cabin--which not all carriers offer--and the cheapest coach ticket. I could see an argument for doing Premium Economy for at least the first outbound travel, when there won't be status, and then flying the return and second trip in coach if necessary. Check also whether flying via Europe on AA/BA is more expensive as well as more time consuming; those issues could eliminate this as an option.

Since this sounds like new business travel, the colleague or OP should check the employer's travel policy carefully to see whether Premium Economy is allowed, if there are preferred carriers, if Fly America applies, etc.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I think I'm the only one who ever posts here that's in favor of Air India, but I do like them and their prices for business are low. They are Star Alliances, so it doesn't hurt to check their rates.

I also love Turkish and fly them whenever possible and their prices are usually fairly reasonable. They're also Star Alliance.

As far as max miles, I don't know and others here probably have better ideas, but the best way to obtain the most miles is to stick with a single alliance. Look at any other flights he might have in the next year and base your decision on prices, but more importantly - does the airline/alliance in question go to ALL of his destinations next year?

There is no point earning 10-20% more miles on a trip to India if he has to jump around for future trips and scatter his hard-earned miles everywhere.
If he is stuck flying Y though... I would NOT want to be stuck in Air India Y. Done it. Over it. I'd suggest Turkish if he wants * and maybe BA if he wants OW. The plat challenge is a good idea for AA.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
SFO-LHR-HYD one way is over 10,000 miles
While SFO-LHR-HYD is 10,189, it is easy to stretch this if one doesn't mind more time b.i.s.

SFO-DFW-LHR-HYD 11,037
SFO-CLT-LHR-HYD 11,100
SFO-MIA-LHR-HYD 11,832
SFO-MIA-LHR-DOH-HYD 12,082

Or one can avoid LHR altogether and still get extra miles while still only connecting twice:

SFO-ATL-DOH-HYD 11,410
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Indelaware
While SFO-LHR-HYD is 10,189, it is easy to stretch this if one doesn't mind more time b.i.s.

SFO-DFW-LHR-HYD 11,037
SFO-CLT-LHR-HYD 11,100
SFO-MIA-LHR-HYD 11,832
SFO-MIA-LHR-DOH-HYD 12,082

Or one can avoid LHR altogether and still get extra miles while still only connecting twice:

SFO-ATL-DOH-HYD 11,410
My instinct would be to avoid MIA, especially on the return.

OP should also think about visa issues for any connections, especially if IROPs would force him/her to overnight along the way. Being unable to leave an airport transit zone for 24 hours would not be nice.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks. He has decided to go with AA/BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.