Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Business or first class to Vietnam from DFW/AUS with points -- is it possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Is this at all possible?! Preferably with the least amount of point spending (although I understand that it's likely going to be sizable). I'm trying to find out where to focus my point-earning on.

Last edited by Alexi102000; Jun 16, 2015 at 7:07 pm
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Yes, it's possible, as long as you can find the necessary award seats.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:53 pm

Are you asking which program would be the lowest number of miles to Vietnam? If so, AA miles are your best bet. 67.5k each way in first class on AA, JL, CX, MH. Lots of options in Asia with AA miles.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Are you asking which program would be the lowest number of miles to Vietnam? If so, AA miles are your best bet. 67.5k each way in first class on AA, JL, CX, MH. Lots of options in Asia with AA miles.
+1

And CX is great in business class as well, though definitely go for first class if you have the miles.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:35 pm

I did LAX -> EWR (business first) -- Stopover
EWR -> HKG (business first) -- Stopover
HKG -> BKK (Thai A380 first) -- stopover
BKK -> VIETNAM (SQ first)
VIETNAM -> HKG (LH first)
Somewhere -> LAX (United global first)

I'm pretty sure those were the correct details now. It was the best 140k miles I ever spent.

There were some funky routes by non-flagged carriers in there which were continuing flights and I only think I was able to book due to using miles.

Those 140k days are gone.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Thanks, I appreciate it...I do already have a moderate balance of AA miles (about 100k), so this seems to be the way to go.

Is this something where I have to use the JL, CX, MH website to look up award availability and then call AA to book it?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Alexi102000
Thanks, I appreciate it...I do already have a moderate balance of AA miles (about 100k), so this seems to be the way to go.

Is this something where I have to use the JL, CX, MH website to look up award availability and then call AA to book it?
Yes - use the BA website and find availability on all 3 that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.