Wiki Posts
Search

connecting in miami

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: aadvantage
connecting in miami

will be connecting in miami in october, flying AA from heathrow into miami with connection to orlando {same ticket)problem is they have only allowed 90 minutes for customs immigration etc, as experienced flyer already know that this is way too tight for miami. am thinking of terminating at miami and driving to ft myers from there should i notify AA or just take bags and be a no show for orlando flight would this have any repeccusions for return flight back to uk,would wait till week before as there surely will be schedule change by AA
Old May 15, 2015, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If it's all on one ticket, you'll simply be put on the next AA flight to Orlando. Whilst 90 mins is a legal connection, there's pretty much no chance you'll make it with immigration procedures. I don't understand why you would drive to Ft Myers? Is that your final destination? If it is, there was no point in booking the Orlando flight in the first place as Ft Myers is much closer to Miami than Orlando? If you don't take your flight to Orlando, the rest of the itinerary will be cancelled as you have to fly flights in sequence. Depending on your final destination, I would consider calling AA to cancel the MCO legs.
Old May 15, 2015, 4:47 am
Original Poster

clarification

hi londonelite, final destination is ft myers but couldn't get decent fare from uk so took flight from edi to mco and driving following morning to ft myers booked best price not realisising miami is on other planet as far as entry concerned,arrive in miami 19-40 depart 21-15 just didn't want to have all hassle of getting to mco after midnight or next morning,but will eventually contact AA to find if fee for cancelling orlando leg ps on AA website it was more expensive to fly to miami only than flying nto mco, many thanks for your help
Old May 15, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It is very likely that between now and October there will be a schedule change, due to normal seasonal schedule changes plus changes due to the AA/US merger. Watch your reservation and if there is a schedule change, call and ask if you can just drop the MCO leg, as it no longer fits your needs.

Is this a roundtrip flight or a one way? If it's a one way you don't even need to do that. When you exit customs in Miami, just keep your bags and walk to the rental car center. No one will stop you. If it's a roundtrip, if you fail to fly the MIA-MCO leg your return flight will be cancelled.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are 9 flights/day MIA-MCO, so when you misconnect, you will be rebooked onto the next available flight. If you don't want that, you can simply have the segment cancelled.

But, and this is important, if you for any reason cancel the MIA-MCO segment, do not count on AA to preserve the remainder of the ticket. Check after the segment is cancelled to make certain that the onward/return are still active.

As others advise, whatever you do, don't simply no show for the MIA-MCO unless it is your final segment.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

miami

have round trip edi/mco,mco/edi will wait and see if we have schedule change and then contact AA as advised
Old May 16, 2015, 4:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have a place near Naples and have done the drive along Tamiami Trail (US41) many many times. It's a bit dull, but better than the schlepp from Orlando. If you can, see if you can get the MIA-MCO bits dropped (even if it reprices slightly higher.) The drive is shorter and nicer, and you don't waste time getting further away from your intended destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.