Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to combine points [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:00 am
Original Poster

How to combine points [Consolidated]

I hope it's okay to post my easy questions in the newbie section. I have disabilities and it's hard to research most of it myself.

Is there any good way to exchange some AAdvantage miles for Skymiles? I have checked out points.com, but it seems like the fees are large and that most people are only interested in trades where they benefit much more than the other trader. Am I wrong and I should use them? If there is another way please let me know. I am okay with something complicated like using miles to buy a giftcard, then sell the giftcard, but this probably does not exist.

Also, is there any good way to transfer Skymiles between friends/family, besides paying the transfer fee to Delta? Or transfer AAdvantage besides the official way with fees? I have read up on this before and found there was no way. Just wondering if there is anything I missed or anything new. I know there is probably not.

Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
It's not possible to transfer miles from AAdvantage to Skymiles, in part because having the ability to do so would undercut the main purpose of operating a FF loyalty program. Transferring miles within a program requires paying a fee. What you can do, however, is use your miles to obtain an award for someone else, e.g., a family member or a friend. That's permitted, as long as the award is not being sold.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The easiest way of using miles you don't need or plan to use yourself is to buy tickets for friends and family. Whether they choose to thank you with a handshake and a hug, or an iPad or a gift certificate for $750 is really between you and them.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the confirmation!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are those mileage brokers, but stay away!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by tropicalgirl
I hope it's okay to post my easy questions in the newbie section. I have disabilities and it's hard to research most of it myself.
Don't forget our Disability Travel Forum, where you may discuss your disability-related travel questions as well.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Currently DL SkyMiles don't expire so you can just keep any you have and use them later, although miles tend to depreciate over time. If you have AA miles, watch the expiration rules.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Currently DL SkyMiles don't expire so you can just keep any you have and use them later, although miles tend to depreciate over time. If you have AA miles, watch the expiration rules.
Thanks, I am aware of expiration. Problem is I have many AA, but not enough SM for a flight. The route I need is only done by Delta, unless I travel farther to another airport, which is hard. Or possibly if I have 1 connection. A friend could give me some miles but doesn't have enough to buy a whole ticket either. I will probably have to pay cash but need to conserve cash for other necessities when possible. Just trying to explore non-cash options, if any.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What is the routing? We might be able to assist.

Sometimes, miles and points can be exchanged - but like exchanging other kinds of "currency", it can mean huge devaluations, particularly as you might have to carry out more than one exchange.

To see how this can be done, see WebFlyer's calculator: http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 3, 2015 at 7:54 am Reason: Add bolding for visibility
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:52 am
In memoriam

Look into getting an American Express Delta credit card. http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...nus-miles.html This offer is for a 30K bonus, but there are often better offers around for 50K bonus or so. Check the Delta forum here on FT for updates.

Also consider the Amex cards which earn Membership Rewards Points. MR Pts convert one to one to Delta Miles. There are often MR earning cards available with large bonuses.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks, the calculator is interesting, but I don't want to take a big loss at this time. The loss I am seeing is 60% and I think even 20% is high.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 pm

transfer miles

How can I transfer advantage miles to delta miles?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can't -- at least not without a substantial devaluation (if it's even possible).

Welcome to FT.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:07 pm

Welcome to FT!

Not sure if still possible, however this website indicates that it is possible to do through Diners Club Club Rewards at a 2:1 ratio.

http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

Convert from American AAdvantage to Delta SkyMiles
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by rietepiet
How can I transfer advantage miles to delta miles?
Your best best is using them to fly AA/US. They only way you could use them on another airlines is if they are in the same alliance or have a agreement like AA, AS and Delta. Both AA and Delta have agreements for FF's on AS but AA and Delta don't have a agreement with each other, different alliances. Were AS would be a independent who doesn't have a agreement with any alliance.
You can book a one way flight with AA and a return with Delta to use them up.
Diner's Club does have exchanges but value is very low. Plus you have to have a Diner's CC.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Mar 31, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.