Search

regular flights to Tehran

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I have commitment issues.
regular flights to Tehran

Hello knowledgeable FlyerTalkers,
I am trying to gather info for a couple who regularly fly US to Iran. They know very little about frequent flyer programs and I cry to think of how many times they've made this trip and not earned a single mile. Time to change that. Hoping FT can guide us in the right direction. If this belongs in "Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join?", apologies and happy to move it. I thought this question was more specific.

Details:
  • couple is in their 60s and would like to avoid marathon layovers
  • they make this trip Phx - IKA - PHX at least once (on rare occasions, twice) per year
  • most interested in earning points for redemptions (domestic US or for another flight to IKA) but baggage allowances / upgrades / lounge access are great secondary considerations. In fact, because of invariable layovers on this route, lounge would be a nice perk but not necessary
  • they could probably be either resident in Iran or US for purposes of international lounge access, if that makes sense
  • very light annual US domestic travel, 1 or 2 flights maybe
  • good credit so if a particular credit card will really help, that can be done (would resist app-o-rama)
  • price of ticket is an issue - not looking for rock-bottom but not ever going to pay for first-class

From what I can see, they should use Lufthansa and park all the miles in United. Am not sure if this plan will get them access to lounges en-route. They flew BA once but disliked LHR layover.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions? Many thanks!
Old May 9, 2015, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What about flying AA/QR, and crediting to either AA or BA?

It looks like the only way to avoid two connections is to fly PHX-LHR-IKA on BA/IR.

In order to earn any type of elite status on either AA or BA, one must fly at least four segments on that carrier's metal per year (in addition to meeting the other requirements for status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.