Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Confused about required amount of miles to travel

Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

I am confused about how many miles it takes to travel to different destinations. I have a lot of miles with AA, United, and Delta and sample miles for destinations do not seem to match up when I actually try to redeem miles. For instance, a roundtrip USE<-> SE Asia sample is 80,000 miles but when I go to redeem it is 115,000 + $115 each way. This has occurred on a number of occasions when I actually go to redeem miles for an international flight. Am I doing something wrong? I am newer to redeeming miles in this manner. Your insight is appreciated.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MattyBoll
... For instance, a roundtrip USE<-> SE Asia sample is 80,000 miles but when I go to redeem it is 115,000 + $115 each way. This has occurred on a number of occasions when I actually go to redeem miles for an international flight.
Most programs have more than one redemption chart. One is for flights operated by the same airline as operates the program. This chart might have several levels, for "saver" and "standard" awards, and perhaps also "peak" and "off-peak" seasons.

The program may also have another chart for flights operated by their partner airlines, and for itineraries operated by two or more airlines.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are also routing rules. An airline might divide Asia into two or more parts, and it may cost more to connect in one part of Asia if you're end destination is in a different part of Asia.

Another kind of routing rule is direction of travel: AA, for example, considers US<->India awards to be trans-Atlantic only. If you want to fly trans-Pacific (say, because you're starting from the USA west coast), it has to be booked as two separate awards (which doesn't cost double, but does cost more).
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by MattyBoll
I am confused about how many miles it takes to travel to different destinations. I have a lot of miles with AA, United, and Delta and sample miles for destinations do not seem to match up when I actually try to redeem miles. For instance, a roundtrip USE<-> SE Asia sample is 80,000 miles but when I go to redeem it is 115,000 + $115 each way. This has occurred on a number of occasions when I actually go to redeem miles for an international flight. Am I doing something wrong? I am newer to redeeming miles in this manner. Your insight is appreciated.
If you're referring to Delta, they have (for now) three award redemption levels and are famous for being one of the stingiest about availability at the lowest level...though the DL forum has excellent advice about ways to construct your searches to better the odds of finding low level.

You will always pay some manner of taxes and fees for an award redemption, from the chump change level for a domestic award to a bit more internationally....and some airlines levy a hefty "fuel surcharge" as well.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:59 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Gotta look for the low level award i would check every day till i get it. Also something you have to break down an award segment by segment to get it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.