Community
Wiki Posts
Search

booking higher subclass when paying out of pocket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:53 am
Original Poster

booking higher subclass when paying out of pocket

what is the rule of thumb when paying out of pocket for booking subclass? e.g. I buy a transatlantic economy ticket.

Does it make sense to buy a L, M, Y ticket (i.e. higher economy fares) for the full mileage (which works out to substantially more with the elite bonuses)?

Of course I'll make sure to calculate the CPM if I were to do so, but in general is it even something worth considering?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this seems to a query about purchasing tickets rather than mileage runs it's been relocated to the Information Desk for further input.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT, crossexposure!

It really depends on (i) what airline (different airlines use different letter codes for their higher Y fares, and attach different rules to these), and (ii) how much YOU value the enhanced flexibility, refundability, reroutability, etc. I've often paid for higher fares out of my own pocket for because I thought I might change the date or the time of the flight. But I think only you can decide this. 'Value' is fairly personal.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Welcome to FT!

The only time I have done so was when I was doing a Platinum Challenge with AA. I was doing a TATL, FRA-DFW-CAE and back. That was enough to get me PLT status.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that the earning rules as well as your personal advantages can be different for status miles versus redeemable miles. For example, M fares earn 150% redeemable miles but only 100% status miles on DL. A lot depends on whether your goal is status (or rollover with DL) or an award ticket.

Also, some programs offer you the opportunity at booking to pay some additional money to get additional redeemable miles (or even status miles with your redeemable miles for more money).
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Great, thank you all for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.