Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with last minute award availability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Help with last minute award availability

I'm trying to visit a family member who is sick. I have: 60k united, 50k avios, 60k ultimate rewards. I'm located in PDX and need to head to MEX, leaving ~thursday of this week and returning ~saturday of next. I am flexible on the exact dates. Normally I would book this through alaska or american using avios, but it seems as though there are stopovers or other metal for all available saver flights. Any tricks I'm missing here? Would really appreciate help
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Normally I would book this through alaska or american using avios, but it seems as though there are stopovers or other metal for all available saver flights."

Can you explain what you mean by this? A search for SAAver awards between PDX and MEX on aa.com should only return flights on AA and/or AS metal.

As both BA Avios and UA miles can be redeemed for one-way awards, you might look at redeeming Avios in one direction, and UA miles in the other. But UA will charge you a close-in award-booking fee.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Normally I would book this through alaska or american using avios, but it seems as though there are stopovers or other metal for all available saver flights."

Can you explain what you mean by this? A search for SAAver awards between PDX and MEX on aa.com should only return flights on AA and/or AS metal.

As both BA Avios and UA miles can be redeemed for one-way awards, you might look at redeeming Avios in one direction, and UA miles in the other. But UA will charge you a close-in award-booking fee.
alaska searches were returning flights on aeromexico. american searches were returning flights far out of the way (think dfw). I'll try to find a low priced one-way UA award, never though of splitting it up like that, thanks.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

PDX-LAX-MEX is 2,386 flown miles; PDX-DFW-MEX is 2,551 flown miles. By contrast, a PDX-MEX nonstop (which neither AA nor AS offers) is 2,248 flown miles.

Routing via DFW is not going very much out of the way.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

PDX-LAX-MEX is 2,386 flown miles; PDX-DFW-MEX is 2,551 flown miles. By contrast, a PDX-MEX nonstop (which neither AA nor AS offers) is 2,248 flown miles.

Routing via DFW is not going very much out of the way.
derp - I supposed I should have looked a the map instead of relying on my memory. Thanks! I'll use this info to try to figure something out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.