Wiki Posts
Search

New Guy - Japan Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I never was part of any frequent flyer programs until just a couple days ago. I booked a trip LAX-NRT on American. The return flight is NRT-SAN-LAX and it says Japan Airlines operated by American Airlines.

I decided to sign up for Aadvantage and put the number in when I booked the trip. Since the return trip is on Japan airlines will I get miles for the trip on the way back?

Also, this is my first time to Japan. Will I have a problem using credit cards for normal purchases in Japan? I prefer to not use cash but I will carry some just in case.

Sorry for the noob questions, but thanks for your help.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
JAL and AA are oneworld partners, so you earn miles if your fare class is eligible. This means that cheap tickets could earn no or reduced miles. However, IIRC oneworld convention is that the AA flight number is what matters, so I suspect you'll earn 100% for the JAL operated flight. (This would be different on Star alliance.)

Most places in Japan accept credit cards, but there's a tradition of carrying (by USA standards) a lot of cash there. Some very expensive restaurants and bars are cash only. You'll also want some cash for small purchases from street vendors, local transportation, very simple authentic meals, etc.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:20 am
Original Poster

I see. Thank you very much for the response.

The return flight does have an AA flight number.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: M&M, A3*G, Flying Blue, HHonors
re credit cards vs. cash:
as MSPeconomist said, Japan is a cash society. You'll be able to use your credit card, but not everywhere, and not for small amounts like it seems to be common in the US. My advice: do carry enough cash. Especially since, depending on the credit card you use, you might be unable to use some or most ATMs. Crime in Japan is low, pickpockets are virtually unheard of, so nothing to worry about on that side.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

If you go to the "Travel and Dining" section of this website, as opposed to "miles and points", you will find a forum dedicated to Japan. There, experts will be able to answer all your questions about visiting the country.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:03 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
If you go to the "Travel and Dining" section of this website, as opposed to "miles and points", you will find a forum dedicated to Japan. There, experts will be able to answer all your questions about visiting the country.
Forums for countries and regions are now under 'Destinations' rather than 'Travel & Dining'. Do a search for 'credit card' in the Japan forum for existing threads like this one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ash-japan.html
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:29 pm
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ChunkyLover53
Hello,

Also, this is my first time to Japan. Will I have a problem using credit cards for normal purchases in Japan? I prefer to not use cash but I will carry some just in case.
I had no problems using my credit card making large purchases (hotels and bullet train tickets) but I also carried my debit card. The 7-Eleven ATMs are plentiful and I don't believe they charge any fees to use. I was only charged my bank's 1% foreign transaction fee.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Awesome. That's good to hear.

I'll make sure to take some cash but try to purchase as much as I can with a card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.