Wiki Posts
Search

Marketing your status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why? Implicitly you're selling your perks.

BTW, regarding the former airline employees possibly using their nonrev privileges to accompany people for pay, most nonrev policies forbid flying nonrev for any sort of business activity; the "free" flights, including buddy passes, are soley for personal/leisure travel.
Implicitly, accompaniment flight services are selling flight accompaniment. One of their services is a free flight search. I am sure clients would be steered to an airline where they would receive elite treatment, although I don't really know. That is why I have repeatedly asked if anyone has direct experience with these guys because I cannot find customer reviews.

I have posted real experiences including receiving info from UA. I have asked if anyone has a contradictory experience, i.e. someone who has been burned by extending their perks to clients, whatever the business. So far all I am getting is flak for being for being dumb enough for believing UA customer service.

As for the former airline employees who largely comprise these accompaniment services, I addressed the same in a previous post. The client pays for an additional rt for the representative to go home and then come back for the client's return. I conjecture that for these flights in which the representative flies alone, that the money paid for this rt could be pocketed if the rep can get get home and back again for free. Again, this is just conjecture and I asked if anyone had experience with this. Apparently you have. Thanks for the input. Hypothetically, do you think they could get away with it is they wanted to. Probably not if business were thriving, but perhaps if they were careful and didn't overdo it??

Dang! I'm getting good. I knew right off the bat what BTW meant although it took a couple of beats to figure out nonrev.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by tmelanio
By the way, what does NGO stand for? I couldn't find it in the glossary.
Where's this Glossary?? As someone who often doesn't understand the difference between an FA and an FO, or a Shena from a DYKWIA, this would be useful!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tanglin
Where's this Glossary?? As someone who often doesn't understand the difference between an FA and an FO, or a Shena from a DYKWIA, this would be useful!
At the very top of the page, to the right of the big FlyerTalk logo, you should have menus NEWS, FORUM, MEMBERS, EXTRAS, and HELP. Hover over HELP to get a drop-down list, and select Glossary from that drop-down list.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Either you've stumbled upon a brilliant way of making money by selling your frequent flyer perks that somehow no one has ever thought of, or you're violating any of the following rules:

Any failure to follow Program Rules, United's contract of carriage, United's fare rules, any abuse of Program privileges, any violation of law, rule or regulation, any conduct detrimental to the interests of United, any fraudulent activity or attempted fraudulent activity, or any misrepresentation of any information furnished to United or its affiliates by any member, or anyone else acting on the member's behalf, may result in the termination by United of such member's membership, the loss or cancellation of accrued mileage, certificates, awards or benefits, or both, or the loss of other Program benefits.

No mileage, benefits, certificates or awards earned or granted under the Program may be transferred or assigned except as expressly permitted by United in writing or under programs fully authorized and/or sponsored by United.

The sale or barter or attempted sale or barter of any such mileage, certificates, awards or benefits other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards or benefits transferred, assigned or sold in violation of the Program Rules, in addition to exposing the member to the penalties otherwise associated with violations, may be confiscated or canceled. The use of award tickets that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other conduct in violation of Program Rules may result in termination of membership, cancellation of accrued mileage, certificates, awards or benefits, confiscation of the tickets, denial of boarding with respect to the ticket holder, and, at United's discretion, completion of the travel only upon payment of an applicable fare.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:09 pm

I have a fascinatingly adventurous background and impeccable character. I have been told by many, including my wife, that women would use my service simply by looking at my photos.
Super Adventure Club?

RIP, Chef.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Adam1222
As others have said, they most certainly will have a problem with you selling trademarked products and using their intellectual property to market you, and likely your account will be shut down the second time you book 8 completely different passengers on your MP number.

The perks of your elite status are not yours to sell.
You have not read this thread very carefully. What you write is not what the OP is proposing, or in line with the guidance he has been given by UA.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Implicitly, accompaniment flight services are selling flight accompaniment. One of their services is a free flight search. I am sure clients would be steered to an airline where they would receive elite treatment, although I don't really know. That is why I have repeatedly asked if anyone has direct experience with these guys because I cannot find customer reviews.

I have posted real experiences including receiving info from UA. I have asked if anyone has a contradictory experience, i.e. someone who has been burned by extending their perks to clients, whatever the business. So far all I am getting is flak for being for being dumb enough for believing UA customer service.

As for the former airline employees who largely comprise these accompaniment services, I addressed the same in a previous post. The client pays for an additional rt for the representative to go home and then come back for the client's return. I conjecture that for these flights in which the representative flies alone, that the money paid for this rt could be pocketed if the rep can get get home and back again for free. Again, this is just conjecture and I asked if anyone had experience with this. Apparently you have. Thanks for the input. Hypothetically, do you think they could get away with it is they wanted to. Probably not if business were thriving, but perhaps if they were careful and didn't overdo it??

Dang! I'm getting good. I knew right off the bat what BTW meant although it took a couple of beats to figure out nonrev.
I've never tried to fly nonrev, but I do know that many airlines also have a rule to the effect that you cannot fly nonrev standby on any flight on which you have once held a ticket or reservation. So for the intermediate trip back home, the accompanyers cannot cash in revenue tickets after learning that they can get on the flights as a nonrev.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You have not read this thread very carefully. What you write is not what the OP is proposing, or in line with the guidance he has been given by UA.
I have read the thread extremely carefully:

"Is there a market for this? Would I be violating United policy by letting strangers share my perks by paying to fly with me?"
Selling "flying with you" by saying PS you will also get my status perks, wink wink nudge nudge, is the same as selling your perks.

More recently, the OP has stated "I would promote a service with perks without any mention of a specific airline." Except when a customer called to ask "can I get those perks on any flight you book for me?," the answer would have to be "No, I only have United Mileage Plus 1K (TM) status." I am offering to provide you with United Club (TM) access, Economy Plus (TM) seating, etc.

The true intent of the OP is reflected by the title of this thread. The OP is seeking to make a business by offering to fly with people so they can use his United Mileage Plus perks.

The "guidance" received in a response was from Customer Care.
The question that led to the "guidance" has been described different ways:
"United got back to me stating that they have no policies prohibiting my plans. They wished me every success and thanked me for being 1K."
Then it was described as "The first question in my OP, "marketing your status" was answered by UA -they do not prohibit such an undertaking by their elite fliers." Then the question was described as "using my perks in an independent business venture."

The OP stated they contacted Customer Care. We do not know exactly what was said to Customer Care. Was it "can I share my perks with strangers I book tickets for"? Was it "Can i market my Mileage Plus 1K (TM) status as a reason why people should pay me to fly with them?"

Unless the OP submitted a full business plan, which was run by legal, the "wishing every success" by Customer Care is worth nothing. It was likely someone at a desk in India responding to a confusing question. That is not "guidance."

As to the OP's question "Who would you have me contact to further confirm that this is OK? Why do you think I even need to confirm this?"
This is obvious, you are not acting as a "customer". You are acting as a third party travel seller. Customer Care has nothing to do with approving the use or sale of United's marks or products. They barely have the power to give you compensation for a service malfunction.

If you want to take the risk of having your 1K status revoked, go ahead, rely on a "wishing every success" from Customer Care.
My recommendation:
(1) Develop language that you actually plan to use in marketing materials
(2) Explain that you will charge strangers XX for the privilege of flying with you on United Airlines.
Contact legal: contact information is available here: http://www.untied.com/ual/contact.shtml#

So yes, London Elite, I have read the thread quite thoroughly. I just have reached a far different conclusion based on what has been said. Unless you have read the business plan and have more detailed information as to the "guidance" that Customer Care gave, I don't think your views are any more valid than mine.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've never tried to fly nonrev, but I do know that many airlines also have a rule to the effect that you cannot fly nonrev standby on any flight on which you have once held a ticket or reservation. So for the intermediate trip back home, the accompanyers cannot cash in revenue tickets after learning that they can get on the flights as a nonrev.
Sorry I said it wrong - the client does not book the flights, the accompaniment service charges the client for 3 RTs and accepts any major credit card. For the 3rd RT the service does not have to book a flight for its rep if he can fly for free or made any other arrangements (let your imagination run wild). The service could illegally finagle the whole thing, though I doubt it since they have been in business for so long. Since there are no customer reviews I have suspicions. Again this is conjecture - anybody use these services or work for them?

I do not want to enter a business that is predominately shady. I am beginning to entertain the notion of volunteering to be a flight servant. Hmm...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Either you've stumbled upon a brilliant way of making money by selling your frequent flyer perks that somehow no one has ever thought of, or you're violating any of the following rules:

Any failure to follow Program Rules, United's contract of carriage, United's fare rules, any abuse of Program privileges, any violation of law, rule or regulation, any conduct detrimental to the interests of United, any fraudulent activity or attempted fraudulent activity, or any misrepresentation of any information furnished to United or its affiliates by any member, or anyone else acting on the member's behalf, may result in the termination by United of such member's membership, the loss or cancellation of accrued mileage, certificates, awards or benefits, or both, or the loss of other Program benefits.

No mileage, benefits, certificates or awards earned or granted under the Program may be transferred or assigned except as expressly permitted by United in writing or under programs fully authorized and/or sponsored by United.

The sale or barter or attempted sale or barter of any such mileage, certificates, awards or benefits other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards or benefits transferred, assigned or sold in violation of the Program Rules, in addition to exposing the member to the penalties otherwise associated with violations, may be confiscated or canceled. The use of award tickets that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other conduct in violation of Program Rules may result in termination of membership, cancellation of accrued mileage, certificates, awards or benefits, confiscation of the tickets, denial of boarding with respect to the ticket holder, and, at United's discretion, completion of the travel only upon payment of an applicable fare.

Thank you for backing up what you say with the fine print. However, differing opinions remain as to whether someone paying to fly with you constitutes "selling your perks". And no one has presented experience, except for mine with customer care, which you loathe. I have it in writing from United stating that they have no policy prohibiting me from using my status in an accompaniment service. My advertising and business plan would follow what I have learned from existing accompaniment services. What more would you have me do?
If I were to show up at 1K check-in and declare that the person next to me is paying me to fly with them because they are frightened of flying or handicapped or simply want company, do you think they rescind my status? If anyone approached me just for the perks I would advise them to buy a first class fare - it would be cheaper and less hassle.
As I posted earlier, if there were an easy way to cash in on your status, elite fliers would be doing it.
I have repeatedly asked if anyone has experience with these services because customer reviews do not exist as far as I know. I do not want to enter a business that is predominately shady. I am contemplating volunteering as a flight servant. What say you?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Super Adventure Club?

RIP, Chef.
No... more like

Red Neck Fly Guy
Dang! I'll fly anywhere with ya'll if ya' pay my ticket.
I'll even carry ya'll over to the airport in my pickup
I gots towels over the seat so's you and yer luggage won't git smelly.
They's really darlins to me over at the airport
and they be real sweet to you too!
I guaranteeee it!
So gimmee a hoot!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Any one out there have experience with these guys? Apparently not. I cannot find customer reviews.

I think you are dealing with sets that don't intersect at all.

1) Flyertalk users, who generally are very capable (indeed, super-capable) travelers.

2) Users of travel companion services, who by definition are low-functioning travelers.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sorry I said it wrong - the client does not book the flights, the accompaniment service charges the client for 3 RTs and accepts any major credit card. For the 3rd RT the service does not have to book a flight for its rep if he can fly for free or made any other arrangements (let your imagination run wild). The service could illegally finagle the whole thing, though I doubt it since they have been in business for so long. Since there are no customer reviews I have suspicions. Again this is conjecture - anybody use these services or work for them?

I do not want to enter a business that is predominately shady. I am beginning to entertain the notion of volunteering to be a flight servant. Hmm...
You're missing the point: It would be against most or all airlines' rules about nonrev travel to have the former airline employee fly nonrev for what you are calling the third trip. Nonrev privileges cannot be used for business travel; sending the former airline employee home in the middle of the trip is business travel.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by sdsearch
At the very top of the page, to the right of the big FlyerTalk logo, you should have menus NEWS, FORUM, MEMBERS, EXTRAS, and HELP. Hover over HELP to get a drop-down list, and select Glossary from that drop-down list.
Brilliant - thank you!

I'm surprised Shena's not in it though.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I thought about doing something similar with WN Companion Pass. Free travel!

But WN has little in the way of perks and you cannot continually change the Companion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.