Wiki Posts
Search

Flying business class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Flying business class

Dear all

I used to regularly fly business class for work about 7 years ago, mainly London-Middle east although my family never have.

I really want my mother to experience business class and was thinking of going on a trip, even for a few days, to somewhere in Europe where she can go in to a lounge, first to board etc. Just for the novelty.

Can any recommended any routes from London where I could do this but at an affordable price perhaps destinations which are undersold in business?

I do mind where it is - Europe (preferred, as its close to home).

Thanks

ps affordable would be about £300-400 return
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Within Europe, and at that price point, business class does not exist in the manner you describe. Virtually all airlines within Europe use the same seating for business that they do for economy, just with an empty middle seat. Priority boarding is never really enforced, and the whole experience is decidedly non-premium. But this would fit into your price expectations.

There are some exceptions to the above. BA uses 767s on some short haul flights, for example to FRA, MAD, and ARN. But you won't know in advance whether these are in a long haul configuration (real business class seats) or not. IB uses an A340 for a daily LHR-MAD rotation, but I would argue that this is also not the experience you have in mind.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by privacypolicy
Dear all

I used to regularly fly business class for work about 7 years ago, mainly London-Middle east although my family never have.

I really want my mother to experience business class and was thinking of going on a trip, even for a few days, to somewhere in Europe where she can go in to a lounge, first to board etc. Just for the novelty.

Can any recommended any routes from London where I could do this but at an affordable price perhaps destinations which are undersold in business?

I do mind where it is - Europe (preferred, as its close to home).

Thanks

ps affordable would be about £300-400 return
Europe business is (as you may know) a blocked middle seat and an extra 4 inches of leg room. If you are looking for the cheapest something like LHR or LGW to AMS return on BA can be pretty cheap, £220 or so if you stay a Saturday night.

If you are looking for a proper J experience you will have to go further afield—probably to the ME or northern Africa. Turkish Airlines offers some business class seating as well on their IST-LHR route.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:11 am
Original Poster

I'm pleased I am not the only one who thinks business is poor in Europe, although I can understand why.

I went to Larnaca last year and with the exception of champagne on being seated and a "different" meal to economy, there was nothing premium about it! And I don't even drink on flights!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I think you'll be hard pressed to find the full experience you seek in the first place, especially within your price point and geographic constraints.

If you have miles to redeem and are willing to go further afield, then that would be different.

Is it important to also have a newer business class seat (e.g., full flat or at least angle-flat seats) or will just a larger recliner style seat suffice?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:07 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
How about LHR-IST on Turkish Airlines? A non-refundable business promotion fare starts at £340. The seats may vary from fleet to fleet but you can check what kind of seats you are going to get in this post in the TK forum. Later this week TK is scheduled to move to T2 at LHR where you can use one of the new lounges and the TK CIP lounge at IST is considered to be one of the best business lounges around.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
How about LHR-IST on Turkish Airlines? A non-refundable business promotion fare starts at £340. The seats may vary from fleet to fleet but you can check what kind of seats you are going to get in this post in the TK forum. Later this week TK is scheduled to move to T2 at LHR where you can use one of the new lounges and the TK CIP lounge at IST is considered to be one of the best business lounges around.
Plus IST is a great place to visit!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:11 am
Original Poster

It does not matter which seat type it is, certainly not for a short route.
And I will definitely give TK a go! Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:24 am

Flying business class

Also the IST lounge is one of the best in the world!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.