Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which airline has the best mileage program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline has the best mileage program?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
In theory you could credit your EK flights to Alaska (AS). You would likely lose your EK Gold benefits, however. Is that a concern?

AS has a number of partners with coverage in South America (LAN, Delta, American, Aeromexico), and SE Asia (Cathay Pacific). There are no fuel surcharges, save with BA. However, the Alaska award chart is primarily suited for someone based in North America (there is no South America-SE Asia award on any AS partner available, for instance). The AS plan is good if you can work around those problems (you may not be able to, however).

I am not so sure contorting travel way out of your way (routing from South America to SE Asia via North America, for instance) on sub-par airlines and routings compared to what you fly now is worth getting the occasional free trip. It seems to me much of the value proposition for USA-based airline programs is "yes, flying on us is pretty horrible, but every now and then you can redeem your miles on some other, much better airline and get some Dom and caviar". In the end, is it worth having occasional outstanding experiences worth suffering more when you're not having them?

Also- can EK miles be used for upgrades? That's another potential use for them...
Thanks for the tip. Could be worth a try, I don't think I will lose my EK benefits though. As I understand it, the Tier miles (which grant you status) and Skyward miles (which you use to redeem) is separated. Hence as long as I continue to fly EK for normal business, my Tier miles will accumulate. I will check out Alaska air miles program to see how I should go about transferring my Skyward miles.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lighthand
Thanks for the tip. Could be worth a try, I don't think I will lose my EK benefits though. As I understand it, the Tier miles (which grant you status) and Skyward miles (which you use to redeem) is separated. Hence as long as I continue to fly EK for normal business, my Tier miles will accumulate. I will check out Alaska air miles program to see how I should go about transferring my Skyward miles.
I'm afraid you do not understand what I am suggesting. You cannot transfer your existing Skywards miles to Alaska (there is no benefit for either airline to allow customers to do this; the only airlines that allow this are ones using common currency like Avios, like British Airways and Iberia). You would need to credit Alaska (AS) instead of EK on future EK flights to gain AS miles. This would probably preclude you from crediting EK (unless they allow a split like SQ does for PPS, where PPS credit can be separated from where you credit for miles).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm afraid you do not understand what I am suggesting. You cannot transfer your existing Skywards miles to Alaska (there is no benefit for either airline to allow customers to do this; the only airlines that allow this are ones using common currency like Avios, like British Airways and Iberia). You would need to credit Alaska (AS) instead of EK on future EK flights to gain AS miles. This would probably preclude you from crediting EK (unless they allow a split like SQ does for PPS, where PPS credit can be separated from where you credit for miles).
Hmm... you are right. I have checked Alaska airlines website, and found the restrictions stated.

I think I would be better off just using the my miles for upgrades.

But thanks anyway.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The question here is so subjective that any answer will just be an opinion about what is best for that person.

If status doesn't matter, you can examine a typical travel pattern and compare the award tickets that would result, although even here some people value FC and others don't, some want nonstop flights or new aircraft, etc. Just calculating a % return can be very misleading, just as it's misleading to compare miles earned from travel or miles per award ticket as miles can be more or less valuable in different programs.

Status further complicates the situation because to many of us, status perks can be worth more than award tickets. Again, different people value different aspects differently and the same supposed benefit can mean more in some programs. For example, lounge access is more beneficial when you get access to outstanding lounges or when almost all of your airports are covered.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:08 am

I've been an American expat for the past 20 years+ usually flying once a year. I've collected at least 8 FFP cards but I don't keep tabs on them. I usually fly economy class. What I'd like to learn about more about is YQ as a discount on flights and if there are any other deals like this. (I learned about this in the Economist.) How could following FT pay off for someone like myself who flies economy and only uses a credit card to book a flight? Thanks in advance
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

meyers66 Congratulations on your first post on FT (after 6 years)

Originally Posted by meyers66
I've been an American expat for the past 20 years+ usually flying once a year. I've collected at least 8 FFP cards but I don't keep tabs on them. I usually fly economy class. What I'd like to learn about more about is YQ as a discount on flights and if there are any other deals like this. (I learned about this in the Economist.) How could following FT pay off for someone like myself who flies economy and only uses a credit card to book a flight? Thanks in advance
YQ is a fuel surcharge in $$ that some, but not all, airline ffp's charge on awards flights (that is a flight booked with miles from a ffp). YQ is part of the price of many paid fares. Avoiding YQ is difficult.

Most airline ffp's have partner airlines so you can get miles in your ffp, even if flying another airline (subject to the t&c's).
Look and ask more here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 16, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by meyers66
If you're an AA Executive Platinum (not just an expat, but if so, living where?), what have you been doing with your eVIPs if you always travel coach?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.