Wiki Posts
Search

Freaking out about connections!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Freaking out about connections!

Hi all,

I'll be doing my first solo international flight in a couple of weeks (CLT-JFK-JNB-TNR). In buying my tickets, I had one option: leave CLT @ 7:30, arrive JFK @ 9:20, depart JFK @ 11:30. I have some concerns about getting to my plane at JFK in time because the JFK-JNB-TNR leg of my trip is with SAA while the CLT-JFK leg is with US. But they are booked as the same ticket (I went through a third-party booking agent, if that changes anything.)

So my question is: will I have to get new boarding passes in JFK (and check everything in again), or will all of my boarding passes be issued in CLT and I don't need to worry about the times? All of my other int'l flights I've gotten the BP at the same time, but I've also never needed to change airlines.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you are on the same PNR then you will (a) have your luggage checked through to your final destination, and (b) get all your boarding passes issued at the same time.

There is a potential snag, however. I assume that you booked this ticket before US left *A. Whilst I'm certain that interlining your luggage won't be an issue, it may be that the US agent can't print your SAA boarding passes. Timing will be ok if you are on time at JFK, and worst case will be having your BPs printed in JFK.

Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Alright, thanks - so I should be OK with that amount of connection time at JFK even if I need to get my BP there?

When you check-in online, can you print your boarding pass then? That might solve the whole issue!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:47 pm
Suspended

You should be able to print your BPs online when you check in. In any case, I doubt you'll have much of a problem because the gate in JFK can print them if you under time pressure.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:52 pm

Find out what alternate flights (who partner with USAirways or SAA) are available from CLT and JFK to South Africa, and print out that information.

In your phone, feed in the customer service numbers of USAirways, SAA, and any other airline partners as appropriate.

Keep a list of those flights handy. In case it looks like your flight will be late (whether you're in CLT or JFK), get on your phone and get yourself booked on the alternate flights before all your other fellow passengers do.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:03 pm
Suspended

From JFK there are no other options to JNB, at least not direct.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mc9423
Hi all,

In buying my tickets, I had one option: leave CLT @ 7:30, arrive JFK @ 9:20, depart JFK @ 11:30.
Fortunately for you that SAA flight leaves JFK at 11:30am, not 11:30pm, so if you miss it you have all sorts of same-day alternatives via Europe over the ensuing 10 hours or so. US is attached to OneWorld now via AA, so you might look up backup flights to JNB on BA (British Airways) or QR (Qatar Airways), via LHR and DOH respectively,that depart JFK later in the day and keep them in mind. Always better to approach a rebook desk with a firm idea of what you want.

That said, I bet you'll catch the SAA flight without worry. Mid-morning is not a crunch time at JFK.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:29 pm

Also note that there can be baggage issues at JNB, even when checked to the final destination.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...sburg-jnb.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.