Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Help needed not sure which thread to use.

Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Silver, Choice Hotels, IHG, UA, DL, BA, AA

Navy is buying a ticket for my nephew to come back Stateside from Naples, Italy. They will only fly him Naples-FRA-DC-Jax (DC where he has a 12 hr layover) and then ends up in Jax with no transportation.....so he wants to go Naples-CLT to pick up his car.

He has to check luggage so the concern is that if he gets to FRA OR in DC would he picking up his luggage and therefore take a cheaper flight to CLT but does this cause problems with the new electronic tickets.

Any ideas on low cost tix for a military guy (I told him you guys were the best) I would give him points but already have used them for 2 tix to Thailand later this year...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The Information Desk is a better venue for your query than Mileage Run Discussion forum so have relocated here.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

It seems there are lots of questions here.
1) Can he pick up his luggage in FRA or IAD?
Yes, specifically IAD, as he'll actually be required to pick up his luggage there.
2) Will skipping his last flight be a problem?
If you skip a flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket will be cancelled. If you skip the last flight, you are therefore fine.
The problem is if you have a problem with any of the flightS, the airline will have no obligation to get you to DC, only Jacksonville. So you could get rerouted through New York or Chicago.
As for whether the military would have a problem with not flying all legs of a ticket it bought, I have no idea.
3) Where can he find a cheap flight?
This gets asked a lot here. But when you don't have flexibility on date, time, origin, and destination, there really aren't any secrets. Look at kayak.com or google flights or whatever.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam1222
2) Will skipping his last flight be a problem?
If you skip a flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket will be cancelled. If you skip the last flight, you are therefore fine.
The problem is if you have a problem with any of the flightS, the airline will have no obligation to get you to DC, only Jacksonville. So you could get rerouted through New York or Chicago.
As for whether the military would have a problem with not flying all legs of a ticket it bought, I have no idea.
Note that "last flight" must truly be the last flight on the ticket. If the ticket is a round-trip ticket and this is just the "outbound" flights, then skipping the last flight outbound will cancel the "return" ticket.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by vagabond1
Navy is buying a ticket for my nephew to come back Stateside from Naples, Italy. They will only fly him Naples-FRA-DC-Jax (DC where he has a 12 hr layover) and then ends up in Jax with no transportation.....so he wants to go Naples-CLT to pick up his car.

He has to check luggage so the concern is that if he gets to FRA OR in DC would he picking up his luggage and therefore take a cheaper flight to CLT but does this cause problems with the new electronic tickets.

Any ideas on low cost tix for a military guy (I told him you guys were the best) I would give him points but already have used them for 2 tix to Thailand later this year...
Could they fly him into Norfolk? It's closer to Charlotte than Jax. Not getting why they refuse to actually transport him home - was he based in Jax?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.